THE GREEN SNAKE AND THE BEAUTIFUL LILY by Antonella Bellecca based on "Märchen" by W. Goethe (1795) WGA WEST Registry Antonella Bellecca nr. 1880115 Viale Italia 22 51100 Pistoia email@example.com 3208616884
FADE IN 1 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - NIGHT XV Century. April, midnight. It is raining heavily on the West Bank of the great Rumon River, 300 m wide. Reeds, trees, bushes are whipped by the rain. The river is infuriated and almost seems to overflow. 2 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - NIGHT - LATER The rain has stopped, the sky is cloudy at times. Water drips from all the leaves, from the plants. The river runs fast. We see a hut along the river, surrounded by darkness. 3 INT RIVER WEST SIDE - ARGUS’ HUT - NIGHT A slight glow enters from the slots in the closed shutters in the poor interior of a somewhat shabby house. A table with two chairs in the middle of the room. An extinguished fireplace with hanging above a copper pot. On the walls shelves full of messy furnishings: oil lamps of various sizes, carved wooden ornaments, fruit baskets, some pipes. Hooks, ropes, jars, buckets. Kitchen crockery. A broom in a corner. A chest. A dispensation. Along a wall, a bed with a bedside table; on the bedside table, an unlit oil lamp. The bed has a wooden headboard carved in a very simple way, with the inscription: ARGUS. Under the covers one can see a tall strong man, 60, beard and hair at his back, usually a little ruffled, who sleeps placidly: he is ARGUS the ferryman. The house and the bed seem really too small for such an imposing man. RICHARD (OS) (feebly) Ferryman! (loudly) Ferryman! Argus opens his eyes with difficulty. JOHN (OS) HEY FERRYMAN! Argus stands up on one elbow, amazed, half asleep. He wears a nightgown.
2. 4 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - ARGUS’ HUT - DOOR - NIGHT RICHARD WE WANT TO BE FERRED! JOHN GET OUT! Two Will-o’-the-wisps, as tall as a man, are waiting in front of the door. One, RICHARD, 35, has a bluish tinge. The other, JOHN, 35, has a reddish tinge. They are well differentiated: Richard is a bit corpulent, a pot-bellied guy; John has a medium build. They are suspended in the vivid halo of fire, entirely dressed as gents, with hat, shoes, socks, waistcoats and jackets. Elegant and not ridiculous clothing. The feet are slightly connected to the bottom, because of the flame, which starts from the ground, with the base of which are confused. 5 The wooden door opens wide with a SHOT. In the light of a flash, followed by a THUNDER, in the doorway, we see Argus’ impressive figure. He is completely wrapped in a large cloak, with a cone cap on his head and big boots. He keeps a lamp lit up with his arm raised. RICHARD We are in hurry! Right, John? JOHN We have to go to the other side of the river! Right, Richard? Argus looks towards the river. The water runs fast SEETHING NOISILY because of bad weather and current. 6 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - PIER - NIGHT Argus’ right arm sharply moves away thick rushes. Argus keeps the lamp high with his left hand, followed by Richard and John who slalom between plants. They do not walk with their feet, but flutter at the ground. Argus stops, raises even the lamp and illuminates a small wooden pier, which goes into the river for a few meters. A rowing boat for 4-5 PEOPLE, tied with a rope to a wooden pylon.
3. 7 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - PIER - ON THE BOAT - NIGHT Argus is standing on the boat and loosens the rope from the pylon. The lamp is hanging from a vertical perch. Richard and John are on the boat with a little jump. Argus pushes with an oar on the dock and the boat comes off quickly. 8 EXT RIVER - NIGHT Argus rows painfully, cutting the current from left to right. It’s starting to rain. A lighting and a THUNDER. Richard and John WHISTLE very rapidly among them. Suddenly they burst out laughing and hopping on the edges, on the benches, on the bottom of the boat. ARGUS THE BOAT IS WOBBLING! IF YOU ARE SO RESTLESS, IT CAN CAPSIZE! SIT DOWN, LANTERNS! Richard and John laugh loudly. The boat sways. Richard and John lullaby. RICHARD JOHN The old man is afraid!... The old ferryman is afraid... RICHARD (CONT’D) (mocking Argus) SIT DOWN, LANTERNS! Richard and John laugh, jump and spill. Argus looks at them in a bad mood. 9 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - PIER - NIGHT It rains and THUNDERS. The boat touches the River East Bank in a sheltered, where is a small pier equal to the west one. Argus throws the ring-knotted rope on a pylon. The rope loop falls perfectly on the pylon. Richard and John rise about twelve inches from the bottom and remain suspended an instant, then shake themself vigorously for a few seconds. A bright gold coins shower falls from all sides of the flames on the boat bottom. RICHARD This is for your trouble, ferryman! ARGUS For heaven’s sake, what are you doing! You want to ruin me! If a gold coin had fallen into the water, the River would rise in frightful waves.
4. Argus mimics the dreadful waves. RICHARD And why?! ARGUS It cannot tolerate it! He would have swallowed the boat, and who knows what he would do to you. Take back your money! JOHN We cannot take anything back from what we shaked off. Right, Richard? 10 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - PIER - BOAT AND SHORE - NIGHT Argus kneels in the boat, under the rain, and takes his hat. He starts picking up gold coins and putting them in his hat. ARGUS The hassle of having to pick them up, too... Richard and John hop off the boat. Argus stands up. ARGUS (CONT’D) HEY! WHERE’S MY FEE?! JOHN Who doesn’t want gold can work for free! Right, Richard? ARGUS You should know that you can only pay me with the fruits of the earth. RICHARD The fruits of the earth? We despise them! We have never tasted them! Right, John? ARGUS I cannot let you go until you promise to bring me three cauliflowers, three artichokes and three purple onions.
5. 11 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - PIER - NIGHT Richard and John laugh. They turn to leave, but despite the efforts cannot take the flame off the ground. A lighting and a THUNDER. RICHARD All right, all right! Damn ferryman! JOHN We promise! ARGUS What do you promise? RICHARD We promise to bring you some vegetables as a reward for transportation! ARGUS NO! Three cauliflowers, three artichokes and three purple onions! JOHN WE PROMISE BRING YOU THREE CABBAGES, THREE ARTICHOKES AND THREE PURPLE ONIONS! Richard and John draw back; this time the flame detaches, so they jump backwards. By inertia they jump back several times for some meters. 12 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - NIGHT It rains. Argus is standing in the boat that moves away in the dark, and watches the shore silently. A lighting and a THUNDER. Richard and John watch the boat move away. Suddenly they look at each other and give a start. HEY, OLD MAN!HLISTEN, OLD MAN! JOHN WE HAVE FORGOTTEN THE MOST IMPORTANT THING! Their words fall on deaf ears. It pours.
6. 13 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - FURTHER SOUTH - NIGHT Argus nears the bank. The rain clears and stops. A slight glow filters through the clouds. Argus throws the loop rope, which falls perfectly around a broken trunk. 14 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - SHORE - NIGHT Argus is standing on the shore. On the back he has a spade, tied with a strap. In his right hand he has the hat, tied with a cord; in his left hand, the lamp. With his right hand he adjusts as he can the strap and goes into the bush, dripping water. 15 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - HILL - NIGHT Argus digs a hole with a spade in the sodden earth, on the slope of a hill. The lamp rests on the ground next the tied hat. The wind blows. Argus stops and scans the sky: the clouds have thinned out and moonlight shines. 16 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - HILL - NEAR THE HOLE - NIGHT The hole is ready. Argus on his knees spills all the coins from the hat into the hole. 17 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - HILL - NEAR THE HOLE - NIGHT - LATER The hill is empty. The hole is covered. A lightning and a THUNDER. A CRACKLING LIGHTNING hits the point where the coins are buried. 18 INT UNDER GROUND - NIGHT The lightning continues its run under the ground, SPLITTING the layers of rocks: it forms a slit. The bright coins suddenly fall along the slit. 19 INT UNDERGROUND CAVE - NIGHT An underground cave, full of stalactites and stalagmites. The walls give off a light flare. The ceiling splits RUMORIOUSLY, the lightning enters the cave and ends up by CRASHING to the ground. Meanwhile, the bright coins fall in, crossing the cave. The coins fall on the rock; they TINKLE and sparkle. On the one hand, a green SNAKE sleeps rolled up; he is about six meters long. His name is SEVERUS and the cave is his home. Severus opens his eyes. He raises his head, looks, unrolls, crawls towards the coins. He looks amazed at the coins. One by one he eats them all. The more he eats them, the more his body becomes bright; the skin becomes transparent; the light comes from his
7. inside. He throws the last coins into the air, triumphantly raising himself to devour them as they fall back. We see the whole cave illuminated by the transparent, luminous and throbbing body of Severus. SEVERUS (jubilant) YEEEESS!!! 20 EXT RIVER - NIGHT The boat back from the east to the west bank. Argus rows with irritation. DISTANT THUNDERS. 21 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - HILL - NIGHT Severus advances crawling through grass and bushes. As it passes, he illuminates the water which drips from the plants, leaves and flowers; they glow glittered by his light. Then they come back in the dark. He goes into a thicket and provokes around him the same glitter phenomenon. 22 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - GLADE - BUSH - NIGHT We see a glade surrounded by woods, and in the distance the brightness of Richard and John. Severus emerges from the bush in the glade. He stares. In the distance Richard and John flutter. SEVERUS (to himself) If I could finally find someone like me! 23 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - ACROSS THE GLADE - NIGHT Severus snakes quickly across the glade. He provokes around himself the glittering phenomenon. Richard and John play chasing each other, laughing. Severus lunges at them. SEVERUS Cheers, cousins! 24 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - GLADE - NIGHT Richard and John stop and look at him in amazement. SEVERUS (CONT’D) I’m glad to find such lovely gentlemen, between my kinship! Let me introduce myself: I am the serpent Severus. Richard and John fly over him and pass him over laughing.
8. RICHARD Cousin Severus, even if you belong to the horizontal line, this doesn’t mean anything. Right, John? JOHN We are related only to the part of light, of appearance. Right, Richard? RICHARD Because, look here... Richard and John become very thin and sharp, so much higher, almost double. Severus looks at them in dismay. They speak louder to be heard from above, preening. RICHARD (CONT’D) We are gentlemen of the vertical line... JOHN Look how are good, to us, this height and this slenderness... Richard and John return to normal. They flit and laugh. RICHARD You don’t take it badly, dear friend, but what family can boast about it? JOHN Since there are the Will-o’-the-wisps, no there was one, who had sat down... RICHARD JOHN ...OR LYING DOWN! ...OR LYING DOWN! RICHARD (CONT’D) But, my dear cousin, I would think, we both remain what we are. Right, John? JOHN Let’s live without envy or rancor, without desiring the title of the other. Right, Richard?
9. 25 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - GLADE - NIGHT - NEXT Severus lows his head to the ground and snakes around, awkward. His internal light palpitates. Then he raises his head to look at them again. SEVERUS You gentlemen would give me some news about the origin of the gold coins that fell into the underground cave? RICHARD What cave? JOHN What coins? SEVERUS The underground cave is my home... It’s beautiful, full of stalactites... A short while ago, so many gold coins have fallen inside... Richard and John look at each other intentionally. SEVERUS (CONT’D) Perhaps it was a golden shower that fell directly from the sky?... Richard and John laugh and shake themselves vigorously. A large amount of bright gold coins falls from the flames and gushes and TINKLES. Severus rushes over it and begins to swallow them one by one, greedily. RICHARD Much good may it to you, dear cousin. JOHN We can serve them even more! Richard and John flit around and shake themselves repeatedly, causing a literal rain of bright coins. Severus eats the coins and gradually his inner light grows in intensity. 26 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - GLADE - NIGHT - LATER Severus, Richard and John are standing in the glade. There are no more luminous coins around, while Severus’s body shines strongly: he has the thrill of satiety in his eyes.
10. SEVERUS Cousin Richard... Richard smiles gloating. SEVERUS (CONT’D) Cousin John... John smiles gloating. SEVERUS (CONT’D) I... I will be grateful to you forever! Ask me what you want: what is in my strength, I will do it to you. RICHARD Very well! Right, John? JOHN Tell us, cousin Severus, where dwells the Beautiful Lily? RICHARD Take us as soon as you can to the Palace and the Garden of the Beautiful Lily... JOHN We die of the impatience of throwing ourselves at his feet. Right, Richard? Severus sighs deeply. SEVERUS This is a service that I cannot immediately make you, dear cousins. Beautiful Lily lives beyond the Rumon River. Richard and John are comically dismayed. RICHARD Beyond the river!? JOHN Now we have to get us ferry again, on this stormy night! The clouds cover the moon again. A lightning and a THUNDER. RICHARD The river is terrible!
11. JOHN Would it be possible to call the ferryman again? SEVERUS You would work for nothing. 27 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - PIER - NIGHT Argus moor the boat. SEVERUS (V.O.) Even if you find the old Argus on this side, he will not embark on it. 28 EST/INT ARGUS’ HUT - NIGHT Argus pushes the door, comes in and hangs the lamp on a hook on the wall. SEVERUS (V.O.) He can bring anyone on this side, but no one on the other side. 29 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - GLADE - NIGHT RICHARD Then we are ruined! Right, John? JOHN But... but... this makes no sense! RICHARD Is there another way to pass the river?! SEVERUS There’s more than one, but not right now. I can bring you myself, but only at midday. JOHN It’s an hour in which we do not travel willingly... Right, Richard? RICHARD (sniveling) We’re stuck here! Lost in the Lost Kingdom! Severus raises his head with sudden dignity.
12. SEVERUS NO! The Lost Kingdom IS NOT... at all... lost. Pause. Richard and John look interrogatively at Severus, who makes an effort to control himself. SEVERUS (CONT’D) If you would like to find yourself, around noon, in that corner of the wood... He points it with his tail. SEVERUS (CONT’D) ...where the bushes come to touch the shore... I can let you pass, and introduce yourself to the Beautiful Lily. RICHARD We Will-o’-the-wisps fear the heat of the noon... Right, John? JOHN Do you have a boat too, cousin Severus? SEVERUS I do not need it. 30 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - DAY Noon. Severus, not luminous, snakes among the high grass of the shore. He arrives at the water. He raises his head and extends its forward on the water, more and more forward. Magically his body stretches to cover the entire width of the river. SEVERUS (V.O.) Our River painfully separates art from wisdom. I was allowed to connect the two shores only at noon, for a few minutes. The whole body of Severus becomes a bridge of green quartz, with an arch, one meter wide. SEVERUS (V.O.) My body is the offering: I become a stone and I lose all consciousness, to give the inhabitants of the Village the possibility of fleeting encounters.
13. 31 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - GLADE - NIGHT JOHN What village? Severus lowers his head. SEVERUS Once on the two banks of the great Rumon River... 32 EXT VILLAGE - DAY SEVERUS (V.O.)(CONT’D) ...a prosperous and delightful Village expanded. A beautiful village extends over both banks of river, a hundred meters wide. The vegetation on the banks is well taken care of. A robust three-meter-wide wooden bridge connects the two sides. Many boats are moored or cross the river. THE INHABITANTS are busy in the streets and in the houses. SEVERUS (V.O.)(CONT’D) At that time many boats crossed the river. A beautiful wooden bridge connected the two shores... they were only a hundred meters away. 33 EXT A VAST PLAIN - DAY SEVERUS (V.O.)(CONT’D) Our Prince Cullen was proud in battle... Silent scene. A battle with INFANTRYMEN AND KNIGHTS. PRINCE CULLEN stands out on a rearing horse: 25, a handsome young man, noble appearance, beardless, brown hair behind him. He wears a cuirass with a breastplate and wields the sword. He encourages the fighters. 34 INT ROYAL COUNCIL HALL - DAY SEVERUS (V.O.)(CONT’D) ...he administered the kingdom with foresight... Silent scene. The room is spartan furnished, with a large rectangular cedar table in the center, swords and tapestries on the walls, chairs with high wooden backs on the walls. Daylight enters from the cusped high windows. A large round wrought iron chandelier hangs above the table, around which stand Cullen and SIX COUNCILORS, well dressed, all with a beard. Cullen wears elegant knight dresses. Some open scrolls are scattered on the table.
14. Cullen unrolls one of them above the others and illustrates something to the councilors. 35 INT COURT OF JUSTICE - DAY Silent scene. A room with a sumptuous high chair, on a platform, on which Cullen is sitting; on his clothes he wears a purple cloak, which half negligently covers him. On both sides there are beautiful empty chairs. SEVERUS (V.O.)(CONT’D) ...he judged with justice and truth... THREE PEOPLE stand in front of Cullen. On the right, a well-dressed councilor, with a beard and some scrolls in his hand, in silence. In front, TWO PEASANTS address to Cullen in turn on a lively way to ask for justice. Cullen listens carefully to the litigants’ perorations. 36 INT THRONE ROOM - DAY Silent scene. The Room is not too wide but sumptuous; MANY DAMES AND KNIGHTS bow to Cullen, who is standing near the throne, with crown and scepter. The throne is a high wooden armchair with many embedded gemstones, and decorated cushions. SEVERUS (V.O.)(CONT’D) ...his government was wise and fair. 37 EXT LARGE FARMTERRACE - NIGHT A peasant festival. FOLK MUSIC. The farmterrace is decorated with festoons, garlands and lanterns. MANY PEASANTS dance and fun. There are also SOME HIGHER CLASS GUESTS. SEVERUS (V.O.)(CONT’D) Alas! At a Harvest Moon Ball he met a really highest rank princess, from a distant kingdom, and they fell in love. Cullen dances with one hand behind his back and holds a girl’s hand with the other one. She is BEAUTIFUL LILY, 20, blue eyes, radiant look, long blonde and ringletted hair, softly intertwined with ribbons and small flowers. 38 INT ROYAL PALACE - LIVING - DAY Silent scene. A truly sumptuous living room. On the wall a large picture of a KING and a QUEEN, who in the flesh stress out furiously and address tough to Lily, who covers her face with her hands and runs away.
15. SEVERUS (V.O.)(CONT’D) The sovereigns took position against, with all their strength... 39 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - GLADE - NIGHT SEVERUS (CONT’D) ...but Beautiful Lily was too stubborn. She asked Prince Cullen to escape together, she convinced him by leaning on his love... 40 EXT FOREST - NIGHT SEVERUS (V.O.)(CONT’D) They escaped at night, through the Dark Forest behind the royal palace. Lily runs into the deserted dark forest, her head covered by the cloak hood. She reaches Cullen who waits for her near a tree, with two horses. Cullen and Lily jump on the horses and run away at a gallop. 41 INT ROYAL PALACE - LILY’S BEDROOM - NIGHT The King and the Queen roam the room furiously, throwing the furniture on the ground. The Queen throws the blankets into the air, then raises her fists in the sky, invoking the curse. SEVERUS (V.O.)(CONT’D) Very great was the sovereigns anger when they discovered it. The mother threw a curse on the two young persons. 42 EXT FOREST - NIGHT A LIGHTNING hits WITH A BANG the gap between the horses of Cullen and Lily, which rear up. Shying they run away. The branches of the trees lash Cullen and Lily and tear their clothes off. 43 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - GLADE - NIGHT SEVERUS (CONT’D) Since then, Beautiful Lily can not touch any living being. Richard and John look at him sadly. SEVERUS (CONT’D) (lowering his head) When the Queen inflicted her curse on her disobedient (CONT)
16. SEVERUS (CONT’D) (FOLLOW) daughter, and on the Prince who had kidnapped her, our Village began to fall into ruin, to perish... like a living being. 44 EXT VILLAGE - DAY The houses rot, fall into pieces, disappear swallowed by vegetation. They disappear in pieces, almost magically. SEVERUS (V.O.)(CONT’D) Houses and streets are rotten, fallen into pieces, swallowed up by vegetation. Only a few of them have resisted. 45 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - GLADE - NIGHT RICHARD (ruefully) Desolation, disorder... JOHN (ruefully) Squalor, decay... SEVERUS All together... (pause) Since then we await, we few survivors the desolation, that the ancient prophecy of a new bridge, which forever unites the Rumon River banks, is realized. Then the Lost Kingdom will return to being prosperous and happy. JOHN But then... even the Beautiful Lily’s Garden is in ruins... RICHARD (dismayed) It is all full of weeds! SEVERUS No: Beautiful Lily stayed to live with us, and her Palace is the only place in the countryside that has not been touched by the ruinous abandonment. Richard and John breath for the escaped danger, looking at each other.
17. 46 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - GLADE - NIGHT - NEXT SEVERUS (CONT’D) You could pass the other side at dawn, in the Great Giant’s shadow. The clouds return to thin out. A little light passes through the open rips. JOHN Which is?... The Great Giant? What would be like?... SEVERUS The Great Giant, he lives not far from here. With his body he can not do anything: his hands do not raise a straw, his shoulders would not bring a bundle... But his shadow can do much... rather, everything. RICHARD Oh, what does it mean?... SEVERUS That at the rising and falling of the sun he is very powerful, because the shadows are long. And so in the evening you can sit on his neck shadow... and the shadow brings the traveler across the river. 47 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - MOUNT - DAY The GIANT slowly emerges from behind the east mountain. He is enormous; resembles the giant of the 1938 Disney picture "Brave Little Tailor". He yelps by stretching dramatically. SEVERUS (V.O.) The Great Giant is huge, he looks like a mountain. Nobody knows where he lives, but he appears every morning at dawn. He whenever moves towards the river. The Giant slowly starts towards the shore.
18. 48 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - PLAIN/SHORE - DAY As the Giant slowly advances, his shadow lengthens across the river, from east to west. SEVERUS (V.O.) That is the moment to jump on the powerful shadow of his nape. 49 EXT RIVER - EAST SIDE/WEST SIDE - DAY The Giant takes the first step in the water. The shadow of his head slides slowly over the water and lands at the west bank. SEVERUS (V.O.) The Great Giant’s shadow is very long. When he sets foot in the river, the nape shadow is already on the opposite bank. 50 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - GLADE - NIGHT SEVERUS He spends all day from that part of the river, nobody knows where. 51 EXT RIVER - EAST SIDE/WEST SIDE - DAY The Giant emerges from the West Mountain and slowly moves towards the river, that is to the east. His shadow lengthens across the river, this time from west to east. He takes the first step in the water. The head shadow slides over the water slowly and reaches the east bank. SEVERUS (V.O.) But at sunset he returns to this side. At that time the shadows lengthen towards the Levant. Thus the Great Giant’ shadow traverses the river in reverse. 52 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - GLADE - NIGHT RICHARD (astonished) He passes here and there like a madman! (pause) On the nape of his shadow, we have understood. Right, John? JOHN But no, on the shadow of his nape!
19. RICHARD (whining) It’s the same thing! JOHN (to Severus, doubtful) But the river will want to be paid again... SEVERUS Don’t worry about this... The Great Giant does not respect any rule, neither of this world nor of others. The Rumon River knows it can not knock it down. Severus raises his tail and points to a path that branches off from the glade. SEVERUS (CONT’D) You can look for the Great Giant at dawn in the rocky cove at the end of that path... Certainly he will be very courteous. JOHN And you, dear cousin, what will you do now? SEVERUS I will enjoy my own light. Richard and John bow, then flit away quickly, toward the path. 53 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - HILL - NIGHT Severus turns to look at the thicket from which he came. All the trees and bushes rustling in the wind. Severus looks at his luminous body: the light palpitates. He looks at the thicket again. He crawls into the thicket, coming back from the clearing. He shines strongly, illuminates and glitters the plants and the grass along his passage. He arrives at a rocky wall, begins to climb it, then enters a cleft in the rock. 54 INT TEMPLE - NIGHT Severus emerges through a slit into an underground dark Temple. He raises his head and spreads his glow within a few meters. SEVERUS (to himself) Finally I’ll see the Underground Temple!
20. Severus crawls around. Little by little he illuminates columns and banisters. Everywhere dust and cobwebs. The Temple is dipped in the dark and Severus manages to illuminate only a ten-foot ray. 55 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - NIGHT A small stone house, with a thatched roof and a front garden, leans against the wooded wall of a hill; a low fence with a wooden gate surrounds it all around. A path leads to the front door. Despite the some shabby and slapdash look, the house inspires sympathy, it is pretty. 56 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - NIGHT The dark interior is quite large, clean and tidy. The walls are made of gold bricks and glow in the dim light. Floor and ceiling are of wood. There is a nice table with a tablecloth and four chairs. A pantry, benches, chests. Shelves with a few books, knick-knacks, lamps. A simple round wrought iron chandelier with eight candles. In front of the extinguished fireplace there are two old comfortable armchairs. Door is closed. 57 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - BEDROOM - NIGHT We move to the bedroom, on the other side of the closed door. These walls are made of golden bricks too, but the half-light is more deep. The floor and ceiling are made of wood. A wardrobe, a chest, a large mirror, a chandelier similar to that of the living room, but smaller. A small dog sleeps on the left, on the bedside rug. Two over 60 spouses in nightgown sleep in the bed: PHILINE on the left and BENJAMIN on the right, each facing own bedside table. Philine is a little quick intelligent woman, but not too much; she is not very tall, thin but slightly weighted by age. Benjamin is a handsome old man with flowing beard and hair behind him. Two chairs are at the foot of the bed, with the clothes above: peasant clothes for Philine, gamekeepers clothes for Benjamin. On Philine’s bedside table we see an oil lamp, a hair clip, a little book. On Benjamin’s bedside table we see a very characteristic oil lamp, the Magic Lamp: it is a small hexagonal glass house in a wrought iron cage painted in white, with swirls and decorations. The roof of the cottage is pierced. One of the sides is a little door.
21. 58 INT TEMPLE - NIGHT Bright Severus arrives at a colossal golden statue, seated on a golden throne: he is the GOLD KING. The throne is on a gold base, on which the word is engraved: TRUST. Severus illuminates the statue from the base up up to the face. The king wears the crown; with his right hand he keeps a long scepter surmounted by a sphere, his left hand is wrapped around the refined hilt of a sword that rests on his knees (all of gold). Severus’ light arrives at the face of the statue: the Golden King wakes up and opens his eyes. He looks straight ahead. 59 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - BEDROOM - NIGHT The Magic Lamp on Benjamin’s bedside table lights on by itself. The first soft light strengthens and enlivens itself. 60 INT TEMPLE - AT GOLD KING - NIGHT GOLD KING Who wakes up my sleep? SEVERUS (a little scared) I am Severus the Snake. GOLD KING Where are you from? SEVERUS From the crevasses in which the gold lives. GOLD KING What is more amazing than gold? SEVERUS The light... GOLD KING What is more life-giving than light? SEVERUS The dialogue.
22. 61 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - BEDROOM - NIGHT Benjamin opens his eyes. The Magic Lamp makes a good strong light now. Benjamin gets up on one elbow and looks at it. He is amazed and serious. The golden walls sparkle in the light of the Magic Lamp. Philine moves in bed, she wakes up. PHILINE (moaning) what’s up?... BENJAMIN The Magic Lamp has lighted by itself. PHILINE (moaning) The Magic Lamp has lighted?... Benjamin sits up on the bed, takes the trousers on the chair and begins to put them on. BENJAMIN I have to go. 62 INT TEMPLE - AT SILVER KING - NIGHT The Golden King keeps quiet. Bright Severus gives at him sidelong glances as he moves within a few feet to the right. Thus he finds the seated statue of the SILVER KING, identical to the previous one, but silvery. On the throne base the word "HOPE" is engraved. Severus raises his head and illuminates the statue from the base up up to the face.When Severus’ light arrives at the face of the statue, the Silver King opens his eyes. He looks straight ahead. SILVER KING Does which solemn day turn away the sweet night, awakening me from sleep? 63 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - BEDROOM - NIGHT Benjamin is standing near the bed; he wears a modest medieval gamekeeper clothing and a cloak. BENJAMIN Philine, I’m never in favor of separating me from you, if I can avoid it. (pause) But I have to go. Philine stretches in bed, half asleep still.
23. PHILINE Where are you going? BENJAMIN At the Underground Temple. Philine suddenly gets up to sit in bed. PHILINE (shaken) What you told me that is totally in the dark and... there are Four Sleeping Kings... huge... (widening her arms) and when they’ll wake up, will the ancient prophecy come true?! BENJAMIN The Magic Lamp doesn’t lie. If it has lighted up, it means the Four Kings have woken up. PHILINE (laughing nervously) Benjamin, it’s a Magic Lamp. It may have lighted up for a thousand reasons! BENJAMIN They need me. PHILINE But maybe your prince is back, now he’ll think of everything. He was two years away, he may have found... I don’t know, a solution... Philine crumples the sheet nervously. BENJAMIN No. The Magic Lamp always finds a way to communicate with me, and tonight it’s telling me that life is back, over there. 64 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - BEDROOM - NIGHT - NEXT Benjamin is sitting on the bed, by own side, facing Philine. BENJAMIN I left the village fifty years ago, and the most beautiful gift the world has given me is your love. Now that I am in this desolation again, with you, my (CONT)
24. BENJAMIN (FOLLOW) soul, I want to do my part all the way. This is all just still very new, to you: so trust me. Benjamin comes out of the bedroom and heads for the front door. Philine is sitting on the bed and leans toward the door. PHILINE But the prophecy says the Temple must emerge! We hear the NOISE OF THE DOOR THAT CLOSES. 65 INT TEMPLE - AT THE BRONZE KING - NIGHT Bright Severus gives at the Silver King sidelong glances as he moves within a few feet to the right. Thus he finds the seated statue of the BRONZE KING, identical to the previous two, but bronzed. On the throne base the word "LOVE" is engraved. Severus illuminates the statue from the base up up to the face, slowly. When Severus’ light arrives at the face of the statue, the Bronze King wakes up and opens his eyes. He looks straight ahead. BRONZE KING Love held me in delicate arms, now it’s the joy which calls me to new precious hours. Severus lowers his head and walks away, giving at him sidelong glances. 66 INT TEMPLE - AT THE COMPOSITE KING - NIGHT He moves within a few feet to the right and so illuminates the COMPOSITE KING throne base, identical to the previous three, but without scepter and without sword. The shoulders, the head and the crown of the statue are made of gold, its chest and arms of silver, its legs of bronze. The throne and the base are made of copper. The Composite King supports with his hands a large copper sphere. On the throne base the word "HUMILITY" is engraved. Severus illuminates the statue from the base up up to the face. When Severus’ light arrives at the face of the statue, the Composite King wakes up and opens his eyes. He looks straight ahead.
25. COMPOSITE KING The town resounds with jubilance, the land resounds in the splendor of the morning sun. 67 INT TEMPLE - NIGHT Suddenly on one of the walls a longitudinal crack opens, with a DULL THUD. A beam of pleasant light comes out from it and brightens the whole Temple, which is similar to the Pantheon of Rome. Benjamin come in the Temple through the cleft. The light comes from the Magic Lamp that he holds in his hand. Benjamin approaches the Golden King and raises the Magic Lamp to his face. He has a movement of amazement. BENJAMIN Who called me?!... Benjamin sees Severus and impulsively approaches the snake, who is some embarrassed and so withdraws: he rolls up to a balustrade and hides his head, but he is very visible given his strong light. GOLD KING (to Benjamin) Why do you come, Gamekeeper? We already have the light! COMPOSITE KING (humbly) It is too narrow a view... Benjamin turns to the Golden King and makes a few steps vehemently in his direction, in the middle of the Temple. BENJAMIN The Magic Lamp... ehm... made me understand the Temple had been illuminated. GOLD KING Maybe has the time come for the one another’s reciprocal help? SILVER KING To invoke themself the each other? BRONZE KING An event is enclosed in the other one, as in a box. COMPOSITE KING An interest is overwhelmed by the other one.
26. BENJAMIN These are all rhapsodic riddles, my sovereigns. First of all, let them come back to live in my soul-- GOLD KING You linger with thought on old fairy tales. COMPOSITE KING On old books and traditions. BENJAMIN (impatiently) How difficult it would be to give you satisfaction if I followed your criteria! Severus unrolls quickly, exits from behind the balustrade and advances a few terraces towards Benjamin. SEVERUS (to the Gold King) A fairy tale has its own truth, and it must have it, otherwise it would not be a fable. BENJAMIN It represents us as possible, in possible or impossible conditions, impossible events. SEVERUS It’s fabulous and fantastic, but everything flows in it naturally. GOLD KING Forests of symbols with familiar eyes... Prophecy is still far from being fulfilled... But light is the first step. COMPOSITE KING For a long time we waited for the light... But beauty and wisdom are still lacking... BRONZE KING And the sacrifice... Severus looks seriously at the Bronze King. BENJAMIN The improbable sometimes presents itself as something probable and indubitable.
27. GOLD KING Benjamin... eternal Guardian of this cursed Temple... Only your Magic Lamp can give light to the awakening prophecy. SILVER KING I already find all the distinctive signs of a prophecy, and in the highest degree the most important sign. SEVERUS Which?... COMPOSITE KING It’s easy to see how it refers to the past as well as to the present and to the future. SILVER KING Benjamin... Does maybe my kingdom end?... Benjamin sharply turns to the Silver King. BENJAMIN Late or never! BRONZE KING Gamekeeper Benjamin, when will I stand up? Benjamin sharply turns to the Bronze King. BENJAMIN Soon! BRONZE KING Who should I join? BENJAMIN Your older brothers. BRONZE KING And what will happen to the youngest? BENJAMIN He will remain seated... COMPOSITE KING I’m not tired! Benjamin sharply turns to the Composite King.
28. COMPOSITE KING (CONT’D) Are you looking for the immeasurable greatness here? You’re wrong. My greatness is in making him the greatest one... Bright Severus looks at the Composite King carefully, fascinated. 68 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - NIGHT Philine is in front of the fireplace, in a dressing gown. A lit lamp is placed on the mantelpiece. She has tied her hair up with the hair clip on the bedside table. She with an andiron moves the ash a little. The ashes of the fireplace reddens. Philine’s hands approach the embers to warm up. They BEAT at the door. Philine turns in amazement at the door. We hear a strong THUNDER. 69 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - NIGHT - NEXT Philine is standing behind the wooden door; her head is slightly bowed towards the door. PHILINE (hesitant) Who are you?... RICHARD (OS) We are two wayfarers, Madame. 70 EXT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - NIGHT JOHN It’s very cold, it’s raining. Let us come in and warm up a little, until it stops raining. RICHARD Please! 71 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - NIGHT Philine hesitates, then with slow gestures unlatches the door. PHILINE (herself) That’s the night of novelty... Philine opens the door. As soon as the opening is wide enough, Richard and John jump into the house, flying on the ground. Philine has a movement of amazement. She closes the door and remains a little dismayed. Richard and John bow.
29. RICHARD Nice to meet you, Madame. JOHN We are Messer Richard and Messer John, wills-o’-wisp. At your service. RICHARD (laughing) I’m Messer Richard. PHILINE Nice, wills-o’-wisp. Please accept the modest hospitality of my home. Richard and John fly fast from one side of the house to the other. The golden walls sparkle. Richard and John look at them and exchange a knowing look. JOHN Is this beautiful little house all yours, Madame?... PHILINE Oh no! This is the gamekeeper’s house. He is my husband, Benjamin. JOHN (interesting) And where is he now, your husband?... PHILINE (worried) He had to go out... Richard and John smile wickedly. 72 INT TEMPLE - NIGHT GOLD KING How many secrets do you know, Gamekeeper? BENJAMIN Three. SILVER KING What is the most important? BENJAMIN The obvious one.
30. BRONZE KING Do you want to reveal it to us too? BENJAMIN As soon as I’ll know the fourth secret... COMPOSITE KING It does not matter... Even in the end, riddles will always be enough. SEVERUS (weakly) I know the fourth secret... Benjamin violently draws close to Severus. BENJAMIN Severus!... Severus rises up to Benjamin’s ear and HISSES something. Benjamin straightens his shoulders and raises his arms. BENJAMIN (powerfully) IT IS THE TIME! Benjamin’s voice ECHOES in the half-dark Temple. 73 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - NIGHT The door opens wide and Benjamin enters, his cloak soaked and theamp lit in his hand. It’s raining outside: a lightning and a THUNDER. Benjamin SLAMS the door. BENJAMIN It started to rain again. The eight chandelier candles are lit. There are no more ounces of gold on the walls: now they appear to be simple stone. Benjamin does not notice: he turns off the Magic Lamp, sets it on a shelf, takes his cloak off and hangs it on a wall hanger, next to the door of his house. Now he notices there is some confusion in the room: the objects on the shelves are overturned, a couple of chairs are overturned. Philine is seated on one of the armchairs, in front of the lit fireplace, and cries softly. She holds a handkerchief on the face. The dog is at her feet, it seems asleep. Benjamin looks at her. In the silence we hear the soft weeping. Only now he notices the room is completely upside down, a chaos. The bedroom door is open. He approaches her and puts a hand on her head.
31. 74 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - DINING ROOM - NIGHT BENJAMIN Philine... PHILINE (weeping) Benjamin, why did you leave?... I told you not to go... You left me alone! BENJAMIN What happened?... PHILINE (weeping) Two travelers came, they knocked on the door... They looked like two PEOPLE just right! They were dressed in light flames, I thought they were wills-o’-wisp... indeed they were... I let them in... I’ve been unwise! Benjamin sits in the other armchair, reaching out to Philine, and takes her hands. BENJAMIN What have they done?... PHILINE They started to make me shameless compliments! They importuned me! BENJAMIN (smiling) Well... those men certainly only wanted to joke... it was just a generic courtesy, given your age... Philine jumps up. PHILINE But what age! 75 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - DINING ROOM - NIGHT - NEXT Philine starts walking around the room, she is irritated. PHILINE (CONT’D) The age! Do I always have to hear from you about my age? Am I so old?! A generic courtesy! I know what I’m saying! Philine points to the walls with his hand.
32. PHILINE (CONT’D) Look! There is not even an ounce of gold left! Philine makes a circular gesture, pointing to all the walls of the room. PHILINE (CONT’D) All the gold they licked away! You can not believe with what speed! Benjamin gets up and looks around. BENJAMIN You know it’s not a problem... PHILINE And they also had the impudence to say it was much better than what they usually lick! Benjamin laughes. PHILINE (CONT’D) They have become much brighter and even more impudent! (with trembling voice) They tried to caress me... Benjamin approaches her and tenderly strokes her face, takes her arms with affection, while Philine still moves nervously. PHILINE (CONT’D) They called me their queen... But the worst thing is they started to shake violently, and they brought down a shimmering amount of coins... look... Only now we notice so many shiny coins on the floor. PHILINE (CONT’D) See how they shine again! There, under the bench!... What a misfortune!... Benjamin... Philine is terrified and looks at the dead dog beside the fireplace. So Benjamin also looks at him. BENJAMIN (surprised) What happened to Stanny?...
33. PHILINE (whining) He ate a bit of coins... I do not know how many, I could not stop it... 76 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - DINING ROOM - FIREPLACE - NIGHT Benjamin and Philine approach the dog beside the fireplace and crouch, but they do not touch him. BENJAMIN Poor beast... PHILINE I cannot be able to console myself... I saw it only after the wills-o’-wisp had left... Philine gets up and Benjamin too. PHILINE (CONT’D) ...otherwise I would not have promised to settle their debt with the ferryman. Benjamin is dumbfounded and stares her. BENJAMIN Why did you do that?!! PHILINE I wanted they to go away as soon as possible! I was afraid they would not leave! Pause. BENJAMIN Are they debtors of what? PHILINE Three cauliflowers, three artichokes and three purple onions. (pause) I promised to take them to the River when the day breaks. BENJAMIN (uncertain) Yes, you can do it to them, this pleasure... Today generosity has returned to these lands: as I thought, the Four Kings are the ones who have made the prophecy. Perhaps when Prince Cullen will (CONT)
34. BENJAMIN (FOLLOW) return, there will not be any need to save Beautiful Lily either. And those two wills-o’-wisp... it is no coincidence what is happening... sooner or later those two will be useful to us... PHILINE I don’t know, however they promised and swore they would return the favor. 77 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - DINING ROOM - NIGHT - LATER Philine and Benjamin, with two brooms, finish sweeping the last coins and mound them all in one corner. Philine opens a closet and they place the two brooms. PHILINE (rueful and tired) I go to bed, Benjamin. Philine heads for the bedroom. BENJAMIN Yes, Philine, I’ll catch up with you soon. Now I turn off all the lights and then put everything back into place. 78 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - BEDROOM - NIGHT Philine enters the bedroom. Inside, the walls are now only stone. She closes the door behind her. 79 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - DINING ROOM - NIGHT Benjamin approaches his Magic Lamp with a small stick, opens the little door and puts the flame to the wick. He closes the door and leaves the Magic Lamp on the shelf. He takes a snuffer from a shelf and extinguishes the candles of the chandelier. He throws ash into the fireplace and extinguishes the fire. Now only the Magic Lamp illuminates the room. Benjamin takes it, raises it slowly and goes around the room. He illuminates the walls and the fireplace. When the magic light passes, all the walls become golden. BENJAMIN (OS) (to himself) The power of the Magic Lamp... when every other light is extinguished... turns the stone into gold...
35. Benjamin approaches the dead dog with the Magic Lamp and bends over him. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) (to himself) The power of the Magic Lamp... transmutes into precious stone... the body of dead animals... The dog becomes of onyx. 80 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - COVE - DAWN Richard and John are waiting standing, in silence. 81 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - MOUNT - DAY The Giant appears from behind the mountain. Its shadow stretches over woods and plains. 82 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - COVE - DAY JOHN There he is! Richard makes his teeth rattle with terror. RICHARD There he is! JOHN Here is his shadow! 83 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - DINING ROOM - DAY Benjamin and Philine face each other. They are dressed in a simple but clean and dignified manner. Philine is buttoning a heavy jacket; she puts on a shawl, then her coat. Benjamin holds with his hands a wicker basket with two handles: the dog of onyx, three cauliflowers, three artichokes and three purple onions, are inside. BENJAMIN Here is your basket, Philine. Inside you find... Benjamin looks in the basket, pointing with his head. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) Stanny, three cauliflowers... three artichokes and three purple onion. And your lunch. Philine covers the basket with a cloth.
36. PHILINE (muttering) Fresh vegetables... it will weigh a ton... 84 INT/EXT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - DAY Philine crosses the door while she raises the basket on her head with difficulty. Benjamin keeps the door open. Philine walks on the path, with the basket on his head. In the doorway Benjamin looks at her with his hands on his hips. 85 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - HILL - DAY Philine comes down the hill; she carries the basket on her head hardly, through the brush and the clearing. BENJAMIN (OFF) Take them to the River and wait for noon. Bright and drowsy, Severus advances placidly, in the tall grass. BENJAMIN (OFF) At noon, go with Severus on the other side... 86 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - LILY’S GARDEN - DAY Lily is standing in a Garden similar to the Garden of Villa Barberini in Castel Gandolfo. Her mature gaze is absorbed towards the infinite. She wears a princely dress in which white dominates. She has long blonde hair ringed and softly intertwined with ribbons and flowers, moved by a light breeze. BENJAMIN (OFF) Visit Beautiful Lily. Tell her that her extrication is next! 87 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - PLAIN - DAY Philine walks through the East Plain, which slopes down to the river. The sun is very low and shines brightly on the water. She suddenly stops: Giant’s very long shadow through the East Plain, approaching the River. Philine looks around for an escape route. The Giant sees her. He stretches his hands until their shadow reaches the basket. The hands shadow easily moves the cloth and with two nails it steals a cauliflower, an artichoke and a purple onion.
37. The Giant brings the three vegetables to the mouth and swallows them. Philine is powerless. The Giant carries on advancing towards the River. Philine, without stopping to look at him, keeps on to approach the River. 88 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - COVE - DAY The shadow of Giant’s head reaches and exceeds the Eastern Cove, covering John and Richard, who jump over the shadow of his nape. 89 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - DAY As the Giant advances in the East Plain, his shadow begins to slide on the water. Richard and John’s flames are floating on the shadow that slides over the water. The wills-o’-wisp are motionless, almost breathless. 90 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - PIER - DAY Philine arrives at the Eastern Pier, puts the basket hardly on the ground and sits on a boulder. She sighs causes fatigue and distrust. 91 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - PIER - BOAT - DAY Philine is still sitting. Argus’ boat arrives. Argus is standing and rows. Cullen is standing next to him; he wears high-quality knight clothes, a breastplate pectoral and a purple cloak. A full basket is on the bottom of the boat, it is covered with a cloth. Philine gets up. The boat approaches the Eastern Pier. Argus moors it. Cullen hops nimbly off the boat and holds his hand to his forehead with a brief nod of greeting to Argus. He bows quickly to Philine and walks off along the bank. Argus comes down from the boat. Philine is curious and looks down at Cullen stepping away, then she turns to Argus. Cullen in the distance paces back and forth on the shore, gives some small kicks, as if he wanders aimlessly. 92 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - PIER - DAY ARGUS What do you bring, Madame Philine? Philine lifts the cloth inside the basket. PHILINE These are the vegetables the two wills-o’-wisp owe to you, Messer Argus. Argus looks inside the basket. He gets dark and raises his head.
38. ARGUS I cannot accept them. PHILINE Please, Messer Argus... Now I cannot go home to get others of them!... The basket with the fresh vegetables is very heavy for me... Take them, otherwise I’ll not be able to keep on carrying it the entire way! ARGUS It’s out of my hands, Madame Philine!... You don’t understand! I cannot touch anything for nine hours anyway! Philine looks at him without understanding. ARGUS (CONT’D) Nine hours after the crossing I’ve to pay the River... And I’m already late... Only later I can take my part... that is, two thirds... A third pertains to the River... Do you understand? But there is still a possibility, Madame Philine. If you guarantee the River, and recognize you are still in debt for a cauliflower, an artichoke and a purple onion... then I’ll take the six vegetables... But there is some danger... Philine looks at him in astonishment. ARGUS (CONT’D) But if you keep your word, you are not in any danger... (pause) You must introduce your hand into the River... and promise you’ll pay the debt within twenty-four hours... Philine kneels on the pier and leans over to the water. Argus kneels beside her. Philine pulls back her right sleeve, a little; slowly she plunges her hand.
39. 93 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - SHORE - DAY Cullen is sitting on an upturned trunk and stares at the water absently. 94 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - PIER - DAY Philine, with her hand immersed in the water, looks at Argus and utters the promise. PHILINE (slowly) I promise to pay the debt... of the two gentlemen... Argus immediately widens his eyes and his mouth, to stop her. PHILINE (CONT’D) No! of Argus the ferryman... within twenty-four hours. Argus approves with the head. Philine pulls his hand out of the water and SCREAMS. The hand has turned black, like burned. Argus looks at Philine a little guiltily, as tumbled. PHILINE WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!! ARGUS Don’t worry, Madame Philine... PHILINE My hand!! Just the hands, which are the most beautiful thing I have! ARGUS In the end it will get well!... 95 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - PIER - DAY - NEXT Philine gets up and is furious; even Argus gets up and is embarrassed. She is terrified while looking at her hand. PHILINE I worked the land for a lifetime!... But I’ve always been careful to keep my hands white, pretty... since I was a child!... Philine moves her hands in front of herself, turns them gracefully, observes them and at the same time shows them to Argus. Then she suddenly conceals her blackened right hand behind her back.
40. ARGUS (clumsy) Madame Philine... PHILINE Ah! It has even reduced! This is even worse!... Philine looks at her hands close to each other. PHILINE (CONT’D) It’s smaller than the other one! ARGUS It seems, it seems, but only for now!... I assure you it will return as before, Madame Philine, as soon as you keep your word!... But if you don’t give the River what you have promised, the hand will shrink little by little... and at the end it will disappear completely. Philine SCREAMS. ARGUS (CONT’D) But you’ll still use it: is that, nobody will see it!... PHILINE I would rather not be able to use it, Messer Argus, but having it like everyone else! but it does not matter! I will keep my word, I will get rid of this burned skin, and this distress! 96 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - PIER - DAY - LATER Argus hands Philine the basket with only the onyx dog inside. An annoyed Philine covers the dog with a cloth. Philine raises the basket very easily and places it on his head; the basket hovers a few inches above Philine’s head, floating. 97 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - SHORE - DAY Philine, with the basket on her head, turns from the pier towards the beach, for where Cullen had headed. Cullen, in the distance, looks at the river. Philine pulls her skirt up a little with both hands and hurries to reach him. In the background Argus enters the boat and stretches to remove the mooring. Philine reaches Cullen, who looks very sad, and joins him. In the background, Argus moves away from the pier with his boat.
41. PHILINE Hail, thou noble youth. CULLEN Don’t ask me to speak, tell me to be silent. My secret is my duty. Passion brings pain... PHILINE (perplexed) Allow me to introduce myself... I’m Madame Philine, Gamekeeper’s wife. And you... what’s your name?? CULLEN (sighing) I would like to unveil my whole soul, but it’s fate I cannot. Philine takes a breath to answer, but Cullen continues: CULLEN (CONT’D) Who will appease my oppressed heart, which has lost too much? PHILINE (pause) Oh... eh... are you a prince? CULLEN (sighing) Everyone quietens in friendly arms, but an oath seals my lips. (pause) Yes, I am a prince. 98 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - SHORE - ALONG THE BANK - DAY Philine walks along the bank, followed by Cullen, who pulls up beside her. Cullen walks very slowly: Philine increases and slows down, to stay close to him. PHILINE And from which kingdom? CULLEN Know’st thou the land where lemon-trees do bloom, and oranges like gold in leafy gloom? PHILINE But what’s the king your father’s name?
42. CULLEN He is gone... PHILINE Oh, I’m sorry... And the queen your mother?... CULLEN (sighing) She is gone too... Philine is piqued while looks at him. PHILINE (mellifluous) You walk too slowly for me, sir. I cannot waste a moment. I’ve to cross the Rumon River on the back of the Green Snake and hand over my husband’s precious gift to Beautiful Lily. 99 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - SHORE - DAY Philine hurries the pace. Cullen shakes himself and immediately reaches her, putting himself at her pace. CULLEN (very interesting) Are you going to Beautiful Lily!? So we do the same way! What gift do you bring?? Philine stops in amazement and looks at him, then she starts walking quickly, without looking at him. PHILINE (indignant) My lord... it’s not right! You’ve evaded all my questions, and now!... CULLEN Forgive me, Madame Philine! I’m so rich, but my feeling for her devours everything! I’m so rich, and without her everything becomes nothing!... PHILINE I see you’re very interested in my secrets! CULLEN Oh, I didn’t mean to offend you, kind peasant! An exasperated Philine stops and looks at him.
43. CULLEN (CONT’D) (beseeching) Sometimes I think, if I could only once but once, press her to my heart... Philine resumes walking, less hastily. PHILINE If you want to make an exchange, prince, tell me about your affairs, and I will not hide you about me and my husband’s gift. CULLEN First, tell me about the gift... 100 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - SHORE - DAY - NEXT Philine stops, takes the basket and shows it to Cullen. Cullen raises the cloth and sees the onyx dog PHILINE It was our pet... Stanny... Cullen takes the onyx dog from the basket and turns it over in his hands. PHILINE (CONT’D) It died while eating gold coins... But my husband has a miraculous lamp that turns dead animals into precious stones... An in real amazement Cullen looks at her. Then he looks at the onyx dog. He tightens it to his chest. CULLEN Happy animal... You’ll be touched by her hands... she’ll give you life, while the living, in front of her, flee... not to know a sad destiny!... Cullen puts the onyx dog in the basket and covers it with the cloth. Philine puts the basket on her head. The basket hovers a few inches. The two resume their walking. CULLEN (CONT’D) Well, why do I say sad?... It’s more distressing and anguished being paralyzed by her presence... than dying by her hand... Cullen stops, and Philine even stops.
44. CULLEN (CONT’D) Look at me, Madame Philine! what a poor condition I’m forced to endure!... A perplexed Philine looks at him. CULLEN (CONT’D) A prince should not reflect the rays of an extraneous reason; he should shine with his own light, like a star... Philine opens her mouth to say something, but closes it because she is even more perplexed. Cullen puts his hand on his armor. CULLEN (CONT’D) This armour, which I have borne with glory in the broil of the battle, has been converted by Fate into an unceasing burden... Cullen grabs a piece of his cloak. CULLEN (CONT’D) This purple, which I have earned by the wisdom of my government, has been converted by Fate into an empty honour!... Philine looks at him with compassion. Cullen resumed walking with his head bowed, followed by Philine. CULLEN (CONT’D) Crown, sceptre and sword are worthless... I am now as naked and destitute as every other son of clay... PHILINE Did you miss them during the trip? CULLEN I have traveled a long time looking for help, ultimately. For alliances, potions, solutions... For such is the spell of her beautiful blue eyes... that they waste the vigour of every living creature... One look is enough, and every man feels reduced to the condition of breathing shadows... Those whom the contact of her hand does not destroy, of course!...
45. Cullen and Philine notice something and thus they stop; they are very amazed as they look ahead. CULLEN (CONT’D)(OS) What?... 101 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE - DAY A single-arched green Pedestrian Bridge shines in the midday. It has no balustrade. The stones of the Bridge are cut regularly, but they are precious and of all shades of green. Cullen looks at Philine. CULLEN Can we dare to pass over it?... Cullen and Philine, with the basket suspended on her head, walk on the Pedestrian Bridge. PHILINE How is it possible?... CULLEN The Bridge was sufficiently beautiful before, when it stretched before our eyes, with its decorations, as if it were made of jasper and prasio and opal!... Cullen kneels and caresses the smooth, shiny bridge surface, enchanted. CULLEN (CONT’D) Now it looks of emerald, chrysoprase and chrysolite... combined together in the most enchanting variety... 102 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE - DAY Cullen and Philine reach the west bank. They make their way to a path. Behind them, the whole arch begins to oscillate and tremble, to sway from side to side, and gradually it sinks to the level of the water. At last it retreats to the ground, until it resumes the appearance of Severus, his accustomed luminous shape. 103 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - SHORE - DAY Brigh Severus follows the Cullen and Philine to the shore. Cullen and Philine hear his SWISH, stop and turn. PHILINE Oh... He’s Severus! (to Severus) Thank for your condescension in (CONT)
46. PHILINE (FOLLOW) allowing us a passage on your back across the stream, Severus! SEVERUS (to Cullen, joyfully) You’re back, Prince Cullen! Philine turns to Cullen, widens her eyes and almost holds her breath. CULLEN There are evidently more persons present than are actually visible... 104 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - SHORE - DAY - NEXT We hear a LIGHT WHISPERING. Severus turns and answers with a similar SOUND. Cullen and Philine sharpen the eye. Richard and John appear from the glare of the sun next to a very bright Severus, while they are very blurred. JOHN Hello, Cousin Severus. It’s a pleasure to find you again. We’ve crossed the river on the shadow of the Great Giant’s nape. Right, Richard? RICHARD A singular experience, to be honest... JOHN From the top we have seen Beautiful Lily’s palace and garden... At that name Cullen’s eyes sparkle. RICHARD ...but we will first make an incognito ride... Right, John? JOHN Yes sir, we will, in the great park. RICHARD We beg you to introduce us to such perfect beauty when the shadows of evening fall, Cousin Severus...
47. JOHN ...As soon as we are somehow presentable. Right, Richard? RICHARD You will find us on the bank of the great lake. SEVERUS All right, cousins! Richard and John flit away quickly. A HISSING SOUND dies away in the air. 105 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - PATH - DAY Cullen, Philine and Severus resume their walking. PHILINE Have you already been in the Beautiful Lily’s Garden, Severus? SEVERUS I know the house, its porch with pillars tall. The rooms do glitter, glitters bright the hall. CULLEN The whole ensemble let’s we see it as the fruit of a serene and cheerful mood. PHILINE (sighing) Imagination cannot pose demands, it must wait for what is given to it. CULLEN Yes it cannot, buta Beautiful Lily doesn’t make plans, doesn’t set a course. SEVERUS It’s true. They are her own wings to hold her, to guide her. 106 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - PATH - DAY - NEXT We see from behind Severus, Cullen and Philine, on the path. Severus’ light palpitates. We hear their voices in the distance. SEVERUS We have to decide with what regard to precedence we should appear before Beautiful Lily...
48. CULLEN Her visitors don’t have to be never so numerous, they must enter and depart singly... PHILINE If they wished to escape bitter suffering... 107 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - LILY’S GARDEN - DAY In the full sun of noon you see all the splendid Lily’s Garden, then in particular an artificial approx. 10x5m lake, with paved edge, surrounded by trees and bushes. A slight BREEZE ripples the water and moves the fronds. A vast paved terrace opens on one of the smaller edges, in the shade of a large tree. In the center, a precious but simple rounded in white cast-iron table; on the tablecloth, the leftovers of the dinner set for four. TWO PAGES in refined clothes clear the table. One of them gradually puts the crockery into a well-made trunk, with lots of straw, on a low cart attached to a pony. The other one sets the table again, with cups, jugs and trays with in medieval-style food, fruit, nuts, etc. The two pages approach the two sides of the pony and gently guide it through a secondary path, and leave the scene. Not far from the table, we see a two-seater in lightweight white wood sofa, with some cushions. Lily is seated on the sofa beneath the shade of trees and PLAYS A SMALL HARP. Three maids in medieval pastel colors clothes, in a very relaxed attitude, are sitting on comfortable chairs with armrests and white wood sofas. They have in their hands, or near them, cushions, flowers, fans, small musical instruments, a small parasol of white lace, all of value. The FIRST MAID, 40, a lean mature beauty, dresses with shades of red. Her black streaked with gray hair is gathered in a soft chignon, and she have big dark bistred eyes. The SECOND MAID, 30, dresses with shades of blue. She has brown hair gathered in two braids rolled up on the sides of the head, intertwined with ribbons. The THIRD MAID, 20, dresses with shades of green. She has a cascade of red curls on her shoulders, and her skin is very white. The opposite side of the pond is bordered by a one meter high regularly cut hedge, which ends up on both sides in the distance. A Flowers Arch opens at the center of the hedge.
49. Philine comes from behind the hedge. She crosses composedly and slowly the Flowers Arch, with the basket under her arm. The right hand is hidden by a shawl. 108 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - SOFA - DAY Lily PLAY THE HARP while staring at Philine. The SWEET TONES show themselves first in the form of circles upon the bosom of the calm lake; and then, like a soft breeze, they impart motion to the grass and to the tremulous leaves. Philine advance toward Lily with rapture. She walks calmly alongside the fountain and arrives in front of her. Lily, with her eyes down, stops playing. Without moving her head, Lily only raises her eyes to Philine. Philine bows briefly without stopping to look at Lily. PHILINE What joy to be in your presence, Beautiful Lily! What a heaven surrounds you! Since our last meeting, you had become more beautiful than ever. So saying, Philine approached nearer. Beautiful Lily raised her eyes and let her hands drop. LILY Do not distress me with your untimely praise, peasant. It makes me feel even more unhappy. And see! Lily points to the ground with a look. At the feet of Lily lies a dead canary. LILY (CONT’D) Here is my beautiful canary dead at my feet, which used to accompany my songs so sweetly. Lily’s eyes rise up to Philine again. LILY (CONT’D) He was accustomed to sit upon my harp. I had carefully instructed it to avoid my touch... This morning, after I refreshed by sleep, I tuned a pleasant melody. The little warbler sang with increased harmony... The Second Maid relieves her of the harp and puts it down on the sofa. Lily leans forward and raises her gaze dramatically.
50. LILY (CONT’D) (excitedly) ...when suddenly a hawk soared above us! A hawk SCREECHES across the sky. LILY (CONT’D) My little bird sought refuge in my bosom... Lily sadly lowers her head. She lies back on the cushions. LILY (CONT’D) (sadly) ...and at that instant I felt the last gasp of his expiring breath... my darling is dead, and its grave will but add to the number of the weeping willows in my garden... 109 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - SOFA - DAY - NEXT Philine looks at the dead canary and its mistress compassionately and wipes away a tear. PHILINE Take courage, Beautiful Lily!... and learn from my experience to moderate your grief. Great misfortune is often the harbinger of intense joy. For the time approaches but in truth the web of life is of a mingled yarn. It is the time! Lily raises her eyebrows and looks at her with skepticism. LILY Only those who know nostalgia know what my pain is. That who love me is far away... and I blaze inside. PHILINE (uncomfortable pause) Really in this world all sorts of tricks happen... 110 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - DAY Philine pulls out her right hand from under the shawl. PHILINE (CONT’D) See my hand, how black it has become!...
51. The Three Maids get up and surround Philine by looking at her hand. PHILINE (CONT’D) (to herself) It has become much diminished in size!... I must be speedy, before it be reduced to nothing! (to the First Maid) Oh, why did I promise favours to the Will-o’-the-wisps?... The First Maid looks at her with understanding. PHILINE (CONT’D) (to the Second Maid) Why did I meet the Great Giant?... The Second Maid looks at her with understanding. PHILINE (CONT’D) (to the Third Maid) Why did I dip my hand into the Rumon River?... The Third Maid looks at her with pity. 111 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - SOFA - DAY PHILINE (CONT’D) (to Lily) Oh, Beautiful Lily, can you give me a cauliflower, an artichoke and a purple onion?... Lily’s eyes widen in surprise. PHILINE (CONT’D) I shall take them to the river, and then my hand will become so white!... that it will almost equal the lustre of your own! LILY (pause) Cauliflowers and onions abound. But artichokes cannot be procured. 112 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - OUTER PERIMETER - DAY We see a long privet row. It is an outer perimeter: a two meters wide dirt track runs along it. Cullen is seated on a lonely stone bench. Bright Severus is curled up at his feet, his head slightly above the height of Cullen’s knees.
52. CULLEN Pain and torment meander into my lonely soul day and night. Like a lover who is slowly approaching his belle, listening, to see if she is alone. 113 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - ROWS/SOFA - DAY Lily gets up and approaches the rows of trees and bushes, which form three sides of a 6x6m square, behind the sofa. The Second Maid takes the parasol. The Three Maids approach Lily. The Second Maid opens the parasol and holds it on Lily’s head. All four coast the plants. LILY My garden produces neither flowers nor fruit. But if I break a twig... Lily breaks a twig and turns to show it to Philine, who has remained in place a few meters away. LILY (CONT’D) ...and I plant it upon the grave of anything I love... bursts into leaf at once... and grows a goodly tree. Lily points to the rows of trees with her hand. LILY (CONT’D) Thus, beneath my eye, alas, have grown these clustering trees and copses... Lily walks beside the trees, pointing to them with her hand, followed by the Three Maids. LILY (CONT’D) These tall pines... these shadowing cypresses... these mighty oaks, these overhanging beeches... While Lily speaks, Philine is employed in watching own hand, which becomes every instant of a darker hue, and grows gradually less. LILY (CONT’D) ...Were once small twigs planted by my hand... as sad memorials... (to Philine) in an ungenial soil... Lily gets closer to the sofa again.
53. LILY (CONT’D) I’m caught in these torments with a part of guilt: may a god grants me to express what I suffer in secret. 114 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - DAY Lily is standing in front of Philine. The Three Maids remain close to her, standing. Philine is about to take her basket and depart, when she swallows, having forgotten the most important of her duties. She raises the cloth inside the basket and shows Lily the onyx dog. PHILINE My husband sends you this present... It’s our pet, Stanny... You know that your touch can impart life to this precious stone... Philine takes the onyx dog in her arms, and lays it upon the grass, not far from Lily. PHILINE (CONT’D) Stanny is a good and faithful animal: it will be a joy to you. The grief its loss causes me will be alleviated by the thought that it is yours, Beautiful Lily. Lily looks at the pretty creature with delight, and rapture beams from her eyes. LILY On this day... sad, like all the others... many things combine to inspire me with hope... (to herself) But is it not a delusion of our nature... Lily bends to caress the onyx dog. LILY (CONT’D) ... to expect that joy is near when grief is at the worst?... Lily sits down and picks up the harp again. The Three Maids sit on other chairs, Philine remains standing. Lily SOUNDS and sings. LILY (SINGING) Ah! what avail these omens all so fair?...
54. 115 EXT/INT ALTERNATE - DAY As Lily sings OFF SCREEN, you can see: 1. the flowing river; 2. Benjamin’s house from outside and inside; Benjamin is in the vegetable garden and hoes; 3. the Temple immersed in the half-light; 4. Cullen sitting on a stone bench outside the Lily’s Garden; 5. the Argus’ hut, from outside and inside 6. the Argus boat docked at the west bank dock; Argus is sitting in the boat and fishing with a rudimentary fishing rod; 7. all the landscape from above. LILY (CONT’D SINGING)(OFF) ...My sweet bird’s death, my friend’s hands blackly dyed? And the little dog transformed into a jewel rare? Sent by the Magic Lamp to guide our faltering steps. Far from mankind and every joy I prize, to grief and sorrow I am still allied. When from the river will the temple rise? When will the bridge span it from side to side? 116 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - SOFA - DAY Lily ARPEGGIATES the last notes. FIRST MAID How poignant is the voice of the poet who sings, to escape death. LILY I sing as the canary sings among the branches. My reward is the song that breaks out from the throat. Philine turns his head around with impatience and apprehension. We hear a SWISH in the grass; Lily and Philine get stuck, then all five women look where the rustling comes from. Lily just turns her eyes, without moving her head. Bright Severus appears crawling and raises his head towards Lily.
55. SEVERUS The prophecy of the bridge is fulfilled, Beautiful Lily! Madame Philine will bear witness how splendidly the arch now appears! Formerly of untransparent jasper, which only reflected the light upon the sides, it is now converted into precious jewels of transparent hue. No beryl is so bright, and no emerald so splendid! LILY I congratulate you for this, snake Severus. But, forgive me... I doubt whether the prediction is fulfilled. Only foot-passengers can as yet cross the arch of your bridge; and it has been foretold that horses and carriages, travellers of all descriptions, shall pass and repass in mingled multitudes... Philine’s eyes are fixed immovably upon her hand LILY (CONT’D)(OS) Does not the prophecy speak of mighty pillars which are to ascend from the Rumon River?... -- 117 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - DAY Philine gives a little bow. PHILINE With your permission, Beautiful Lily, allow me to bid farewell. Lily gets up immediately. Even the Three Maids get up. LILY (alarmed) Wait for a moment, Philine!... take my poor canary-bird with you! Implore the Magic Lamp to convert it into a topaz. I will then reanimate him with my touch. It and your good Stanny will then be my greatest consolation. Lily kneels and takes the dead canary in her hands. She looks up at Philine and begs her.
56. LILY (CONT’D) (thrilled) But make what speed you can! for with sunset decay will have commenced its withering influence... marring the beauty of its delicate form. Philine and the Third Maid crouch beside Lily. The Third Maid puts some large leaves on the bottom of the basket. Philine gently takes the dead canary from Lily’s hands and envelopes the little corpse in some soft young leaves, places it in the basket, then covers it with the cloth. Lily, Philine and the Third Maid get up. Philine takes the basket under her arm, briefly bows to Lily and hastens from the spot towards the Flowers Arch. 118 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - PATH - DAY Philine walks along the path. 119 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - FARM - DAY A small farm stands in the middle of the western plain. From a secondary path Philine arrives and walks to the door. Philine’s left hand beats on the door. The FARMER TYRION opens the door, has a pipe in his mouth. TYRION Ah Madame Philine!... Come in, come in... Philine gets through the front door. 120 INT FARM - DINING ROOM - DAY The farmer and Philine are standing in the dining room. TYRION What can I do for you? You look a little downcast... PHILINE Oh, I’m just hungry... I didn’t have lunch... TYRION Ah but why didn’t you say that right away!... The farmer approaches the table and moves a chair away. TYRION (CONT’D) Please, please, sit.
57. Philine puts the basket on a chest and sits satisfied. She waits with her arms on the table, the shawl over her black hand. PHILINE And how are you, Messer Tyrion? Tyrion takes a plate from a shelf. He raises the lid of a large pot hanging in the fireplace, over the extinguished embers, and places it on a wall. TYRION Who longs in solitude to live, soon his wish will gain. Men hope and love, get and give, and leave him to his pain. He takes a ladle hung on the wall, with which he takes a large piece of meat from the pot, along with some sauce, which he puts in her plate. TYRION (CONT’D) I just advanced a nice piece of rabbit from lunch... eh eh eh... It’s still lukewarm! Tyrion puts the plate in front of Philine, who rolls up her sleeves, takes the meat with two hands and bites hungrily. 121 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - SOFA - DAY SEVERUS (to Lily) Despite what you say, the temple is built, Beautiful Lily. I saw with my own eyes. Lily sits regally on her sofa. The Three Maids sit down too. LILY But it does not yet stand upon the river, Severus. SEVERUS It’s true, it rests still in the bowels of the earth; but I have seen the Four Kings, and spoken to them. LILY And when will they awake!? I’m here alone, divided by every joy! I look at the stars...
58. SEVERUS I heard the mighty voice resound through the temple: IT IS THE TIME! LILY (happily) Oh, it’s already the second time, today, that I hear these happy words! When will the day come when I will hear them for the third time?... 122 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - DAY Lily gets up. The Three Maids get up too. Lily approaches the onyx pet, left on the ground. She looks at it and smiles pleasantly. She leans elegantly over it and with her right touches it lightly. The pet instantly leaps up; its appearance is slightly zombie. Lily surveys the pet with a look of pleasure. Stanny Zombie looks round joyously, hastens to his benefactress and caresses her tenderly. Bright Severus bends his head and slithers away cautiously a few meters. He disappears in the grass. Lily takes Stanny Z. in her arms and presses it to her bosom.. LILY You are so cold... endued with only half a life... Stanny Z. cuddles her and yelps happily. She hugs and caresses it. LILY (CONT’D) (smiling) Yet you are welcome to me, little Stanny... I will love you fondly... play with you sportively... kiss you softly... and press you to my heart! Lily puts Stanny Z. on the ground. She lets it go a little from her, calls it back, chases it away again, and plays with it joyously and innocently. LILY (CONT’D) (laughing) Come on here! Come on!... Lily swivels on the grass while Stanny Z. chases her. She laughs. The Three Maids run around with Lily and laugh. They all call Stanny; Stanny Z. runs and barks happily from one to the other.
59. FIRST MAID SECOND MAID Stanny!... Stanny!... THIRD MAID LILY Stanny!... Stanny!... 123 INT FARM - DAY We see the empty plate and the black hand, with a piece of bread, which finisches cleaning it. Philine gulps down the piece of bread. On the table we also see two glasses and a bottle of wine. Tyrion is sitting in front of Philine. PHILINE (full) Thank you, Messer Tyrion... Just what I needed! TYRION And now do you want to tell me why you came here? Tyrion lowers his head towards Philine. TYRION (CONT’D) Problems with your husband, the Gamekeeper Benjamin?... Who has not experienced the great advantages that dialogue ensures?... PHILINE Messer Tyrion, I would like you to take me to the other side of the river. TYRION How?... Tyrion looks at her hand. TYRION (CONT’D) You’ve already committed to paying someone else’s debt... and you haven’t done it yet. PHILINE You can stole your brother Argus’ boat! TYRION What?! Why I should do this villainy?!
60. PHILINE I’ve to go home! I’ve a debt with the Rumon River! But on my return I’ll bring you enough cauliflowers, purple onions and artichokes to pay off both debts. An almost stunned Tyrion looks at her. TYRION Madame Philine, haven’t you paid the other debt yet and are even planning to take out a second debt?! PHILINE Oh, Messer Tyrion, what a fuss! They’re four of everything in all, in a few hours you’ll have what you need-- TYRION Madame Philine, I cannot take you anywhere, with a stolen boat! The river would sink the boat, there is no doubt about this! Pause. They look at each other. PHILINE (slowly) Do you mean... as long as I’ll not settle the Will-o’-the-wisps debt, I’ll not be able to cross the river again on your boat?... TYRION But... also from this part of the river you can find cauliflowers, artichokes e purple onions... Philine gets up excitedly. PHILINE No! I cannot! Here... it’s not possible... there are no artichoke nearby! TYRION You can still cross the river on the Great Giant, of course it’s more inconvenient... PHILINE At my age on the Great Giant’s nape?! I can not afford these ups and downs anymore! And then... it (CONT)
61. PHILINE (FOLLOW) makes me genuinely disgusted!... I, well... I can bring you even now a hundred cauliflowers and a hundred purple onions, and then... from my vegetable garden, all the artichokes you want! The vegetable is all there, in the vegetable garden! Tyrion looks elsewhere with resignation. PHILINE (CONT’D) Noo!! Not so!... And tomorrow morning, before noon... Philine looks at her hand in horror. She takes the basket from the chest in a flash, runs to the door, throws it open and runs out, leaving the door open. 124 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - FLOWERS ARCH - DAY A melancholy Cullen comes from behind the hedge and goes through the Flowers Arch, with a very dejected look. He seems overcome by the heat of the day, and perceptibly paler at the presence of his beloved. He bears the hawk upon his wrist, where it sits with drooping wing as tranquil as a dove. The right fist is tightly closed. 125 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE/SOFA - DAY As Cullen approaches Lily, he watches her intensely and breathes deeply. Lily interrupts the game and looks at Cullen with love. The Three Maids stop but keep laughing. Stanny Z. jumps happily from one to the other. Bright Severus appears in the grass and wriggles under and behind the sofa. He raises his head a little and looks at Lily and Cullen with curiosity and apprehension. LILY Oh, Cullen!... It is not well that you should vex my eyes with that odious bird... CULLEN However, while it launches itself in flight, it traces the most wonderful roads, which are constantly changing and moving in others directions. Cullen caresses the head of the hawk with a finger. Lily looks at him frowning.
62. LILY This monster has murdered my little favourite only this day! CULLEN (irritated) Don’t insult it! Don’t blame the luckless bird, rather condemn yourself, and fate!... Let me find an associate in this companion of my grief... LILY Cullen, beloved, so long you’ve been all my delight and all my singing; you are, alas, my pain as well now, but all my singing you still will be. CULLEN I would have already gone far, as far as the world is open, if the stars, that bound my destiny to yours, don’t overwhelm me. 126 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - PLAYING WITH STANNY - DAY Stanny Z. is incessant in his caresses. Lily responds to its affection with the most gentle tokens of love: claps her hands to drive it away, and then sportively pursues to win it back. Cullen looks at the scene with frowning eyes, in silence and in sorrow. She catches it in her arms as it tries to escape, and chases it from her when it seeks to nestle in her lap. CULLEN (to himself) Frailty, thy name is woman. Where are the hours, too soon vanished? The Three Maids participate in the game, run around and laugh. They call Stanny. LILY FIRST MAID Stanny!... Stanny!... SECOND MAID THIRD MAID Stanny!... Stanny!... CULLEN (irritated) Lily!
63. 127 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - DAY Lily stops and looks at him in amazement. The Three Maids stop but keep giggling and giving each other sideways looks. Stanny Z. stops and looks at Cullen, waving his tail joyfully. He loses all patience, in the depth of his despair. CULLEN (CONT’D) So must I look on and behold that such an against nature abortion gains your notice-- Lily falls silent. The Three Maids are quiet now and look at Cullen in awe. LILY (uncertain) Yours are really high and strict demands... CULLEN --wins your love, and enjoies the paradise of your embrace!... I, whom a sad destiny compels to live in your presence, and yet to be separated from you, perhaps for ever!... Cullen quickly raises his right arm: the hawk flies away SCREECHING. CULLEN (CONT’D) The taste is offended more and more seriously... Cullen takes a few steps, he is agitated, stops again, then starts to move a few steps back and forth before Lily, who is bewildered and remains still, watching him. CULLEN (CONT’D) I for you have forfeited everything, even my own being!... Must I continue to wander and measure my solitary way along the banks of this stream?! NO!... Lily has a start of fear. CULLEN (CONT’D) A spark of my former spirit still burns within my bosom... and oh that it will now mount into a flame!...
64. LILY I bear every truth, even the one that reduces me to nothing. But this I require: reduce me to nothing (shaking her head) even before you say it... CULLEN (with held low voice) If your touch can kill, I’m content to receive my death at your hands! (out more loudly) If stones may repose within your bosom, then let me be converted to a stone! 128 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - GROUND - DAY She is scared and steps back. Cullen throws himself on her with open arms and makes the gesture to embrace her. She extends her arms to forbid his approach, and touchs him undesignedly. Cullen drops dead upon her breast. Lily immediately surrounds him with her arms and tries to support him; she manages to support his weight hardly. The Three Maids SCREAM. The Second Maid brings her hands to her mouth. The Third Maid turns the horrified head and raises an arm, as if to defend the eyes from that sight. The First Maid takes a step and extends her arms, but immediately withdraws them. Lily closes her eyes for a long moment. Slowly she kneels down and places Cullen on the floor, keeping his body up in her arms. She looks at him, his head is slightly overturned. The Three Maids are dismayed and approach and surround the couple. Lily leaves Cullen entirely on the ground and gets up. She is standing motionless and gazes intently on the breathless body. Her eyes are bedewed with tears. Stanny Z. approaches Cullen’s body, sniffing around. It lickes Cullen’s face compassionately. 129 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - BODY CIRCLE - DAY Bright Severus reaches the small group by crawling. SEVERUS (to Lily) He had left wealth and power, adulation and splendor.
65. Lily looks at him with a glimmer of hope. The four women spread backwards the circle around Cullen and Severus. SEVERUS (CONT’D) He thought of relying on nature, and returning to live alone with himself. Severus unrolls around Cullen’s body and surrounds him entirely; his light palpitates. SEVERUS (CONT’D) But his heart here has suffered even more the ancient torment. This sublime world, how it vanish the senses... Now Cullen is completely within the perimeter formed by the body of Severus, i.e. a bright oval. SEVERUS (CONT’D) (to Cullen) Are you ruler of the day? of the joy? of the punishment?... No. Time drags you where everyone has to go. Severus winds her serpentine form in a wide circle round the spot where the body lies, seizes the end of hisr tail between his teeth, and remains motionless. 130 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - SOFA - DAY Lily has a hint of faint. Immediately the First and the Third Maid dash to support her, but they stop and look each other upset. Lily turns and, half-bent, with her outstretched arm, manages to reach the sofa; sits, as absent, astonished. The Third Maid approaches, takes the harp that is on the sofa and hands it to her; then she remains standing next to the sofa. Even the Second Maid approaches and remains standing next to them. Lily picks up the harp and scarcely strikes the chords, staring ahead with teary eye. Stanny Z. jumps in front of her, then stops: it’s perplexed and crouches at her feet. Once or twice Lily opens her lips to sing, but her voice refuses utterance; whereupon she weeps. The harp falls from her hands. The Second Maid catches it and lays it aside. The First Maid looks at Severus. FIRST MAID What can man wish for more, than being allowed to connect the end to the beginning?
66. SECOND MAID And how can this happen, if not thanks to the persistence of trust, love and friendship?? 131 EXT RIVER’S VIEW - DAY We see, from very high up, hills, woods, clearings, Lily’s Garden and the River in the middle. We hear over the sobbing cry of Lily. 132 INT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - DAY Benjamin is sitting in his armchair. He smokes a pipe of a different shape from that of Argus. Above a shelf the Magic Lamp CRACKLES suddenly. The wick fires on by itself, SIZZLING. Far away the hawk SCREECHES. Benjamin removes his pipe and raises his head. 133 EXT SKY - DAY The hawk furrows the sky. A ray of the sun makes the feathers of his chest shine for a moment. It SCREECHES. 134 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - SOFA - DAY Lily is sitting on the sofa, she cries silently and stares blankly into distance. SECOND MAID (quietly) What does crying shorten? FIRST MAID (looking at Lily) (quietly) The love. Severus frees his mouth to speak. SEVERUS (quietly) Who will fetch the man with the Magic Lamp, before the sun sets? The three maids look at each other. Severus takes his tail into his mouth again, sadly. 135 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - SOFA - DAY - LATER The afternoon draws to its end. Lily is sitting on the sofa, her head lowered, her gaze lost blankly into distance; she has a fire-red veil on her hair, pinned with precious jewels. The veil is inwoven of gold thread. Gold threads and jewels send luminous flashes.
67. Stanny is crouched at his feet, its head stretched on the ground. Cullen is lying on the ground, surrounded by bright Severus. The Three Maids are sitting together on another sofa, and they look at Lily with pity and concern. THIRD MAID I don’t envy her... SECOND MAID Nor do I... She is a princess, has a beautiful castle, a beautiful park, the hunting reserve, but... FIRST MAID Not only. Nature was a generous mother for her. Already as a young girl she sang like a nightingale. SECOND MAID In vain so much beauty and so much grace were reserved to her... THIRD MAID Before the curse she was always carefree, but even afterwards, she needed only a little to have a light soul... Now, who knows... 136 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - FLOWERS ARCH/TERRACE/CIRCLE - DAY Philine runs breathless with agitation from the Flowers Arch, with the basket under his arm. PHILINE (distraught and terrified) I’M LOST AND CRIPPLED! The First and the Second Maid get up. Stanny Z. raises its head. Philine arrives in the terrace. She sees the corpse, stops, widens her eyes. PHILINE (CONT’D) Prince Cullen... oh!... Stanny Z. runs happily to hop next to Philine. The First Maid approaches Lily’s sofa, on the right, followed by the other two, who are on the sofa’s left, the Second a little further back. Philine looks questioningly at the Three Maids and then at Lily. The Three Maids look at each other ruefully. Lily is sitting stiffly and stares blankly into distance and with teary eye.
68. PHILINE (CONT’D) What... what happened?! A horrified Philine lends an accusatory look to Lily. Philine takes two uncertain steps toward the four women, then looks at Severus, who forms the bright oval around Cullen’s body. Stanny Z. hops around her. PHILINE (CONT’D) (to all of theme) The ferryman will not set me across the river, because I’m indebted to the stream! Philine raises her arm and shows the black hand, which has become a small stump. PHILINE (CONT’D) (to all of theme, around) Look! My hand is nearly withered! In vain I’ve tempted them with a hundred cauliflowers and a hundred onions! The Three Maids lower their heads. Lily continues to stare blankly into distance. PHILINE (CONT’D) (uncertain) The River... insists upon the stipulated three vegetables, but not an artichoke can be found in this neighbourhood!... SEVERUS Philine, forget your distress, rather try to give your assistance here. Perhaps you will be helped at the same time... Philine looks at him desperately, with her arm up. Stanny Z. barks and jumps to catch the raised arm. SEVERUS (CONT’D) Hasten as hard as you can to find out the Will-o’-the-wisps: you cannot see them by daylight, but perhaps you may hear them laughing and flitting. If they hurry up, the Great Giant may yet transport them across the river. They have to find your husband and send him here before the sun goes down completely. Philine remains interdicted for a moment; her look goes from one to the other of those present. Then she seems to realize what she has to do, and nods.
69. PHILINE Yes... Yes, I do... She puts the basket on the ground. Stanny Z. sniffs the inside of it. Philine takes a few steps away, then starts running towards the Flowers Arch. Stanny Z. runs after her for a few meters, barking, then stops. It sits on its hind legs and looks at the Flowers Arch, across which Philine has run away. Everyone in the garden is silent. Severus takes his tail in his mouth again. 137 EXT WEST PLAIN - DAY Philine runs in the plain with everything she has. PHILINE WILL-O’-THE-WISPS! WILL-O’-THE-WISPS!... Philine runs around and calls. Sometimes she stops and calls. PHILINE (CONT’D) RICHARD! JOHN! Philine stops suddenly and pants. We hear SOME HISSES. Philine looks around and waits, then keeps her eyes in one place. John’s fire’s fluctuating figure thickens in the late afternoon light. JOHN Madame Philine... RICHARD Our queen! Richard and John laugh and flutter around Philine and dedicate themselve to a dance of joy. PHILINE Stop! STOP! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? Richard and John dance around her. RICHARD JOHN (chanting) (chanting) Our queen!... Our queen!... PHILINE STOP, I TELL YOU! Richard and John laugh more.
70. PHILINE (CONT’D) PRINCE CULLEN IS DEAD! 138 EXT WEST PLAIN - DAY - NEXT Richard and John stop. They look at each other with a comically sad air. RICHARD It’s terrible! Right, John!? JOHN We are deeply grieved. Right, Richard? PHILINE There is a hope still! RICHARD JOHN Really? Which?? Which?? PHILINE My husband, Benjamin the Gamekeeper, has got a miraculous Magic Lamp... Richard and John listen attentively. PHILINE (CONT’D) Well, it’s useless to explain it to you, now! Hurry at my home, soon! Warn my husband, he knows what he has to do! JOHN But we must remain on this side of the river, if we want to be presented to the Beautiful Lily! Right, Richard? RICHARD Our cousin Severus promised it us! Right, John? PHILINE This is how you treat me, after I’ve payed your debt to the Rumon River! JOHN Madame Philine, we don’t know how to cross the river! PHILINE How you came this morning at dawn! On the shadow of the Great Giant’s nape!
71. RICHARD And for the return?!... PHILINE My husband will think about the return! And you’ll arrive in time to know the Beautiful Lily! Everything must be done before sunset, otherwise Prince Cullen’s body will begin his decay, and the Lost Kingdom will be lost and decompose altogether! Richard and John flutter at the ground. PHILINE (through cupped hands) I’LL WAIT YOU IN THE FERRYMAN’S HUT! Richard and John hurry away. RICHARD Will the Giant’s shadow be strong enough to carry us, at sunset? JOHN It seems a stupid question! But we’ll find out soon! 139 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - SUNSET The sun is very low on the horizon. The Giant’s head shadow glides from the water onto the shore. Richard and John are standing on the his nape shadow and are a bit scared. The shadow continues to glide on the mainland. They jump down from the nape shadow. 140 EXT BENJAMIN’S HOUSE - DAY Richard and John are at the Benjamin’s house gate. They float towards the front door and stop in front of it. RICHARD JOHN GAMEKEEPER! BENJAMIN! BENJAMIN! GAMEKEEPER! GAMEKEEPER! OPEN! HEY! GAMEKEEPER! Your wife Madame Philine sends us! Silence. Richard and John remain silent waiting and then look at each other. RICHARD JOHN GAMEKEEPER! BENJAMIN! BENJAMIN! GAMEKEEPER! Prince Cullen is dead!
72. We see Benjamin’s house and the two will-o’-the-wisps at the door. We hear their repeated calls from afar. JOHN RICHARD OPEN! OPEN! OPEN! OPEN! JOHN (pause - close) He is not here! RICHARD What a mess! JOHN And now how will we do with Prince Cullen? RICHARD He’ll remain dead forever! Because of us! JOHN It’s not our fault if that stupid Gamekeeper is not here! RICHARD (pause) And now what do we do? JOHN What we wanted to do from the beginning! Going to know the Beautiful Lily! Richard and John are going away, then suddenly stop and look at each other. RICHARD JOHN THE RUMON RIVER! THE RUMON RIVER! 141 EXT EAST PLAIN - DAY partaandacrossheachuotherminlthenrunning.aButgevennturning in circle, they head for the River. RICHARD JOHN What do we do?! What do we HELP! do?! RICHARD JOHN We must go back! Where do we go?!
73. RICHARD JOHN Let us look for a way to Let us find a way! cross the River! Suddenly Benjamin, with the Magic Lamp held high, stands out in the clearing. BENJAMIN WILL-O’-THE-WISPS! Richard and John are comically frightened and approach each other almost to mix the flames. They raise their arms comically to the chest as a gesture of defense and tremble. RICHARD JOHN HEEEE! HEEEE! BENJAMIN Stop running in circles like plucked hens! Together Richard and John scoot quickly towards Benjamin, and stop two meters away from him. JOHN (afraid) Are you the Gamekeeper? BENJAMIN No time for presentations! Come with me! Benjamin starts quickly but Richard and John remain motionless, trembling. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) Do you decide or not? !! Don’t you want to cross the Rumon River?? Together Richard and John, still terrified, move quickly to Benjamin, who gets going even before they reach him. 142 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - DAY Benjamin, closely followed by Richard and John, rushes to the riverbed and stops. Richard and John reach him, each on one side. Benjamin raises the Magic Lamp towards the water. The light of the Magic Lamp forms a path of light on the water. The small waves shine. Benjamin proceeds decisively on the path of light, alone. After a few steps he stops and turns.
74. BENJAMIN What are you waiting for?! Quickly, I cannot wait on you hand and foot! Richard and John make a few hops on the path of light. Benjamin starts running again. Richard and John begin to scoot behind him. 143 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - ARGUS’ HUT - DAY Philine is standing in front of the hut door. She writhes her hands and looks anxiously forward. Around the house the tall reeds are still and silent. At a certain point they move and oscillate. We hear some HISSES. Richard and John sprout from the reeds. Philine takes a few steps forward, with EXCLAMATION. Philine, Richard and John reach each other. Silence. PHILINE So, good will-o’-wisps, did you talk to my husband Benjamin? What did the Gamekeeper tell you? Richard and John look at each other in embarrassment. RICHARD My queen... JOHN Our queen! Philine looks at them questioningly and anxiously. RICHARD As we arrived... right, John? JOHN Very right, Richard! We looked for him... RICHARD We called him... JOHN It’s a tragedy... PHILINE (impatiently) What are you saying?... RICHARD Majesty, (gesturing) he got away!
75. PHILINE (pause) BUT WHAT MAJESTY! WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? WHERE’S BENJAMIN?! (pause) You didn’t find him! There was not! Philine turns around, covers her face with her hands, whines and moans, as she moves towards the hut. Richard and John reach her on both sides. RICHARD Don’t cry, Madame Philine! Surely he wasn’t doing anything wrong. Right, John? I don’t know, other women... JOHN What are you saying, Richard?! The Gamekeeper wasn’t there, but then we met him! PHILINE (almost hysterically) And where’s he now?!! JOHN RICHARD Beautiful Lily’s! Beautiful Lily’s! Philine pushes the door with her arm out and enters. Will-o’-wisps are silent and in fear and look suspiciously over and around as they enter. 144 INT ARGUS’ HUT - DAY Argus is standing next to the table, with a small tub in his hand, and looks questioningly at the three newly entered. ARGUS I meet you again, will-o’-the-wisps. Richard and John stutter, bringing their hands to their chest. ARGUS (CONT’D) Now don’t laugh... PHILINE My husband is already by Beautiful Lily. I must reach him right away. Philine quickly wears shawl and cloak.
76. PHILINE (CONT’D) Only the light of his Magic Lamp can slow down the hand disappearance. Philine leaves. Richard and John look at each other perplexed. With embarrassment they start at the door, first slowly, then they scoot one behind the other, SCREAMING. JOHN RICHARD MADAME PHILINE! MADAME PHILINE! 145 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - DAY Silence. Only the crickets BUZZ is heard. The Three Maids are seated on scattered chairs, waiting. Stanny Z. is crouched under the table. Philine’s basket is still on the ground. Lily is sitting at the usual place, a little bent, and stares at Cullen, arms outstretched and hands resting on knees. Bright Severus, with the tip of the tail in his mouth, agitates impatiently. Lily starts crying softly. Severus rolls his eyes around worriedly. The golden rays of the setting sun spread their last beams upon the highest tops of the trees, and lengthen the mountain shadows over lake and meadow. THIRD MAID The sun is about to set... First Maid looks at Third reproachfully. SECOND MAID If the putrefaction enters the magic circle, Prince Cullen will not be able to... First Maid looks at her and widens her eyes to shut her up severely. Lily lowers her head, covers her face with her hands and cries without noise. The Third Maid approaches her and hands her a lace handkerchief. Lily takes it and covers her face. The hawk SCREECHES furrowing the sky. Stanny Z. immediately comes out from under the table and barks to the sky. Lily stands up agitated, the handkerchief falls to the ground. Second Maid gets up and picks it up. Lily stares at the Flowers Arch.
77. 146 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - FLOWERS ARCH/TERRACE - DAY Slowly Benjamin crosses the arch, in the raised right hand he carries his lit Magic Lamp. The four women look at him; even the First Maid gets up. Stanny Z. hops to meet him. Benjamin arrives in the terrace and stops. Stanny Z. hovers around his legs. BENJAMIN (to Lily) Who ever ate his bread in tears, who sat in the sad nights, weeping, on his bed, doesn’t know the heavenly powers. Benjamin looks piously at Cullen’s corpse. BENJAMIN (CONT’D)(OS) They lead us into life. They let the wretched stain himself with guilt, because every fault finds its revenge on earth. Lily takes a step towards Benjamin and remains almost suspended. Bright Severus raises suppliant eyes on Benjamin, without leaving the tip of his tail. LILY What good spirit does it send you? We want you so much and we need you so much! BENJAMIN The spirit of my Magic Lamp pushes me, and the hawk guided me. When you need me, the Magic Lamp flickers and crackles; then I just need to look in the air for a sign... a bird or a meteor... The four women are taking a step closer to Benjamin. Lily has a pleading look. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) Calm yourself, beautiful girl! I don’t know if I can help you. A single person doesn’t help... Lily is astonished. The Three Maids look at each other questioningly. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) (looking around) ...But more PEOPLE together can help a lot. Let us wait and hope.
78. 147 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - BODY CIRCLE - DAY Benjamin crouches next to Severus’ head and places the Magic Lamp on the ground. Its light covers the entire perimeter formed by the luminous body of Severus, with the corpse of Cullen inside. Stanny Z. crouches beside them. BENJAMIN (to Severus) Keep your circle closed. (to maids) Bring the sweet canary here and place it in the circle! First Maid nods to the Second, who approaches Philine’s basket on the ground, bends over, lifts the cloth and takes the dead canary in her hands. The Second Maid approaches the corpse and lays the dead canary on the ground, inside the perimeter formed by the luminous body of Severus. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) As long as they stay under the light of the Magic Lamp, they will not decay. Severus and Benjamin look at each other in silence. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) Now all that remains is to wait... 148 EXT PARK/GARDEN - SUNSET The sun sets. As the shades of evening closes around, the veil of Lily is illumined with a soft brilliancy, and causes her pale cheeks and her white robe to beam like the dawn of morning. We see the whole park. The rays of the setting sun give rise to the highest peaks of the trees. 149 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - SUNSET Philine arrives in a hurry, followed by Richard and John floating close to the ground. Philine, Richard and John see Benjamin. Philine stops. PHILINE Benjamin! RICHARD JOHN (to John) (to Richard) The Gamekeeper! He was here! He was already here!
79. Philine, shaking, kneels beside Benjamin and lays her stump under the beam of light. Benjamin and Philine look at each other anxiously. In front of Lily’s couch, Richard and John block their run, with a little forward momentum of their heads. They bow. JOHN Good evening, Beautiful Lily. RICHARD Good night, Beautiful Lily... JOHN RICHARD (awkwardly) (awkwardly) Princess, my respects. My compliments. Richard and John look at each other with embarrassment. Richard declaims, making a large gesture with his right arm towards the empty garden, behind Lily: RICHARD Greetings, noble gentlemen, greetings, beautiful ladies! How rich is the sky, how many stars! Who knows their name? In this room full of magnificence and splendor... um... uh... LILY Good evening to you, will-o’-the-wisps. RICHARD (gratified) Do you know us?... It’s like we lived in the dawn, when the dew in the field revives us... JOHN And after the welcome worries of the day, the last ray of sunshine makes us rejoice... LILY I know and love my subjects, and my subjects know and love me. JOHN (gratified) We are honoured. For a long time we wanted to be presented to Your Highness the Beautiful Lily. Right, Richard?
80. RICHARD Instead, at the end we presented ourselves. Right, John? Richard and John giggle foolishly. LILY Thank you for agreeing to cross the river again, to warn the Guardian of the Temple. Richard and John remain astonished. JOHN Your Magnificence, who is the Guardian of the Temple? RICHARD We didn’t know it... (to John) We didn’t warn him! LILY The Guardian of the Temple is Benjamin, the Gamekeeper. JOHN RICHARD Ooohhhhh... Yes yes, sure... JOHN But when we arrived he wasn’t there... 150 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - BODY CIRCLE - SUNSET BENJAMIN (to Philine, reassuring) Your hand will not carry on to wither, as long as the Magic Lamp shine upon it. PHILINE (ruefully) If things go on like thus, it will disappear entirely before midnight. 151 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - ROWS - NIGHT The moonlight floods the terrace. Only silence, interspersed with the cicadas BUZZ. Lily walks along the rows of trees, quietly followed by Stanny Z., who sniffs around on the ground. Lily wears a pearl-gray cloak with the hood thrown back, and the luminescent red veil. She stops every few steps to caress the leaves and smell them. Lily looks at the stars.
81. LILY A gentle wind blows from deep blue heaven. The myrtle is thick, the laurel grows high... I’ld like to go down there with you, my beloved one. 152 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - TABLE - NIGHT The pony cart is near the table. The Three Maids are seated around the table, distant from each other. They eat fillets of already clean fish and baked potatoes, with fork and knife. The First Page pours the wine. We hear the noise of the dishes in the silence. The First Maid finishes eating, leaves the cutlery in the dish and rises. Then, the Second and Third Maid leave the cutlery in the dish and rise. The Second Page bends over to Philine and Benjamin with a tray in his hand. On the tray we see two long sandwiches and a beer mug. Philine and Benjamin each take a sandwich. Benjamin takes the beer mug and rests it on the ground. BENJAMIN The time is out of joint. What a cursed spite, that I was born to set it right. The Second Page rises with the tray and moves away. Benjamin and Philine start eating. Severus frees his mouth to speak. SEVERUS Only time will live forever. We are the flowers that it mows. Benjamin puts a piece of bread in Severus’s mouth. Severus swallows the bread, then closes his mouth on the tail. BENJAMIN (eating) The prophecy is coming true, but something’s wrong. Something’s missing. PHILINE (eating) In fact, the bridge is not there and the Temple has not emerged. BENJAMIN (eating) Exactly. Pause. Severus frees his mouth.
82. SEVERUS It misses the supreme sacrifice. PHILINE But Prince Cullen is dead: more sacrifice than that... SEVERUS No. Prince Cullen died, but he didn’t sacrifice himself. He just has been the victim of evil, of the queen mother’s wickedness and her sick love. BENJAMIN It’s like that. The true sacrifice of love is for the good. Pause. SEVERUS I cannot say whether I’ll be able to tell you what will happen, or if this is expressly forbidden to me. In the background the Three Maids whisper to each other, standing. 153 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - NIGHT In the silence of the Garden only the cicadas BUZZ is heard. The light of Severus now shines strongly. Benjamin and Philine are sitting on cushions next to Severus’s head. Stanny Z. is crouched next to them. The Magic Lamp, leaning on the ground, shines on Cullen’s corpse; Philine keeps his damaged hand under the Magic Lamp light. Lily is sitting on her sofa, with the cape hood raised, from which the veil luminescence comes out. Lily holds the harp in her hand, but caresses it absently, without sounding it. Richard and John float brightly on either side of Lily, in an attitude of tense expectation. The Three Maids sleep on a sofa, leaning against each other. Benjamin looks at the stars, then gets up with the Magic Lamp. Even Philine gets up. Lily pluckes a harp rope and turns only her eyes towards Benjamin. BENJAMIN It is midnight. Lily gets up. She approaches Cullen followed immediately by Richard and John. Among them three and Benjamin there is Cullen’s body.
83. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) Felicitous moment finds us together. Let’s us everyone fulfill his task, everyone does his duty... John, Lily, Richard, Philine watch it attentively. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) ...and a general happiness will dissolve the pains of each one... just as a general unhappiness destroys the joys of each one... The thoughts of Severus, Lily, Philine, Richard, John, overlap as in a canon. SEVERUS (V.O.) LILY (V.O.) I’ll go to the Temple... I’ll go to the Temple... I’ll go to the Temple... I’ll go to the Temple... RICHARD (V.O.) JOHN (V.O.) I’ll go to the Temple... I’ll go to the Temple... I’ll go to the Temple... I’ll go to the Temple... PHILINE (V.O.) I’ll go to the Temple... I’ll go to the Temple... All the voices hush. BENJAMIN WE’LL GO TO THE TEMPLE!... 154 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - HAWK - NIGHT Suddenly the hawk SCREECHES arriving straight on Benjamin’s arm. Stanny Z. immediately raises its head. Benjamin pulls out of a pocket a small round mirror with a nice silver grip and hands it to the hawk. BENJAMIN (to the hawk) Grasp the mirror! The hawk nods. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) With the first beam of sun, illuminate the sleeping maidens and awaken them by the light reflected from heaven!
84. The hawk takes flight. Benjamin straightens his arm to the sky. The hawk verges on Benjamin’s hand, grasps the grip of the mirror and flies away into the sky. 155 EXT LILY’S GARDEN - TERRACE - NIGHT Severus begins to move and breaks the circle around Cullen’s body. It moves away in long windings, slowly, disappears, his luminous trail disappears, but without glittering. Stanny Z. follows him for a few steps. Lily holds her arms by the cold. Richard and John close to her. Benjamin poses the Magic Lamp on the ground. Benjamin and Philine approach the basket, take it from the two handles and slowly each of them moves back. The wicker basket SQUEAKS HORRIBLY and slowly extends, sending luminous glows. They stop when the basket reaches almost two meters. They carry the basket with difficulty; now shining strands of light are among the wicker. They lay the basket on the ground next to Cullen’s body. Stanny Z. observes with curiosity and shakes his tail. Benjamin lifts Cullen from under his arms, Philine lifts him from his ankles. They lay it in the basket. Benjamin gently takes the dead canary in his hands and places it on Cullen’s chest. Benjamin and Philine retreat. The basket hovers at a meter. Stanny Z. jumps and BARKS. Everyone looks at each other intentionally. Richard and John set off solemnly towards the Flowers Arch. The basket flies slowly behind them. Philine walks behind the basket. She holds the small black hand on the edge of the basket. A slight halo of light extends from the basket to the hand. Lily walks behind Philine, meekly flanked by Stanny Z. Benjamin takes the Magic Lamp and walks behind Lily. 156 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - FOREST - NIGHT Through the trees of a thick forest, we can glimpse the funeral procession: Richard, John, the hovered basket, Philine, Lily with Stanny Z., Benjamin. The points of light are Richard, John, the basket, the veil of Lily, the Magic Lamp. Many fireflies. 157 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE - NIGHT The funeral procession arrives at the Pedestrian Bridge, which emanates a green light. They come up the bridge slowly. The shining, green arch stands out against the dark sky.
85. 158 EXT ARGUS’ HUT - WINDOW - NIGHT Argus looks at the far scene from the window of his hut. He smokes his long pipe frostily. 159 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE - NIGHT The funeral procession reaches the east bank. Everyone comes down from the bridge and stops. Everyone turns to look at the Bridge, arranged in a radial pattern. The arch of the Bridge begins to oscillate sinking to the water. Stanny Z. launches towards the Bridge-Snake but remains on the shore and barks. Bright Severus docks. Stanny Z. approaches him and smells him. The basket slowly settles on the ground. Stanny Z. approaches it and sniffs inside. Severus approaches the basket and surrounds it, again forming a perimeter with his luminous body. Everyone approaches. Stanny Z. sniffs the basket. Benjamin bends over to Severus and places the Magic Lamp on the ground. BENJAMIN What did you decide? SEVERUS To sacrifice me... Promise me you’ll leave no stone on the mainland! BENJAMIN I promise you. 160 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - SHORE - NIGHT Benjamin stands up. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) (to Lily) Touch the snake with your left hand, and your loved one with your right hand. Lily bends one knee and puts her left hand on bright Severus and her right hand on Cullen’s chest. At the same instant Cullen moves in the basket. He breathes, slow first, then deeply. The canary FLAPS ITS WING, little by little wakes up, CHEEPS. Stanny Z. hangs and WHINES. Cullen moves his head and the still closed eyes. The canary takes flight FLAPPING THE WINGS in the silence. Cullen opens his eyes and looks into the void. He sits up from the basket like an automaton. Stanny Z. moves away. Lily is about to hug Cullen, but Benjamin holds her. Benjamin helps up Cullen. Lily gets up too.
86. Benjamin leads Cullen by the arm and pulls him out of the basket and the perimeter of Severus’s luminous body. The basket returns to its original size SQUEAKING. Everyone looks at Cullen with apprehension. 161 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - SHORE - GEMS - NIGHT Cullen looks at everything without any participation, with empty stare. The canary comes to flutter on his shoulder. At that moment Severus’s body shatters into a thousand and a thousand shimmering precious stones. Richard, John, Philine and Lily gasp. Cullen remains motionless to gaze at nothing at all. Philine in alarm takes a few steps towards the point where Severus was, unintentionally scattering the precious stones, that sparkle. BENJAMIN Holy poetry ascend to heaven! Shine, beautiful star, far and farther away! LILY From the serpent’s sacrifice, the flame of a powerful spiritual force shines and twinkles. Benjamin bends down to pick up the shining stones and put them in the basket. Philine helps him. They raise the full basket and take it to a small boulder on the bank. Stanny Z. follows them with curiosity. Richard and Lily watch the scene, while John is disinterested and passes the transparent hand in front of Cullen’s eyes, which do not move. The canary flits about Cullen and John. Benjamin shakes the whole basket contents in the river: a bright rain. Seeing this, Philine has an imperceptible motion of dissatisfaction. Lily approaches her. LILY Why do you want to investigate where goodness flows away? (looking at the river) Your gems, throw them into the water: who knows who will ever enjoy them. The gems float on the waves like bright and shining stars; then slowly sink. BENJAMIN He shines before us, disappearing like a comet in the river. He combined infinite light with his light.
87. BENJAMIN (to Richard and John) My lords, now I’ll show you the way, and I’ll open the track for you. But you’ll give us the greatest favor if you open the sanctuary door. This time we must enter the front door, and no one can force it except you. Richard and John bow politely and ceremoniously. 162 EXT RIVER EAST SIDE - GLADE - NIGHT The new procession moves forward: in front Benjamin holds the Magic Lamp high up; Philine at his side, her hand stretched out in the light; then Cullen, who walks as emptied of life; then Lily and beside her Stanny Z. trotting along, then Richard and John next to each other. The canary flits about from one to another. Richard and John exchange glances comically, as who know a thing or two. 163 EST/INT RIVER EAST SIDE - CLEFT IN THE ROCK/PASSAGEWAY - NIGHT The procession arrives at cleft in the rock, the same from which Severus had penetrated into the Temple. Benjamin raises the Magic Lamp and illuminates the cleft widening more and more. DEBRIS FALL, ROCK SPLITS. BENJAMIN The harsh rock opens its own chest. WAYFARERS come in one by one. At the end of the narrow passage, WAYFARERS CROWD in front of a large bronze door, like that of Pantheon in Rome, whose doors are closed by a golden lock, a real small sculpture. BENJAMIN Richard, John, your turn! Richard and John advance to the door and start to lick the lock briskly. 164 INT PASSAGE - AT THE TEMPLE DOOR - NIGHT Richard and John lick the last piece of gold from the lock.
88. 165 INT TEMPLE - NIGHT Gate doors widen RESOUNDING STRONGLY. Benjamin advances holding up the Magic Lamp; next to him Stanny Z. takes a step inside the Temple. Richard and John, brighter than before, Lily, Philine, pile up behind Benjamin. Cullen lags behind, stares at nothing, on the sidelines. The canary flutters on the small group, which advances towards the center of the Temple. Philine comes back, takes Cullen by the arm and leads him into the Temple. The light of Magic Lamp magically illuminates the whole Temple, similar to the Pantheon in Rome. Richard and John bow stupidly to the four kings statues, passing from one to the other. The Golden King opens his eyes. GOLD KING Where do you come from? BENJAMIN From the world. The Silver King opens his eyes. SILVER KING And where are you going? BENJAMIN Into the world. The Bronze King opens his eyes. BRONZE KING What do you want here, from us? BENJAMIN We want to accompany you. The Composite King is sitting eyes closed. 166 INT TEMPLE - GOLDEN KING - NIGHT Richard and John sneakily approach the Golden King. They pull out their tongues in the act of licking the gold of the base, but are blocked by the Golden King voice. GOLD KING Get out of here! My gold is not for your taste! Richard and John jump back in fear.
89. 167 INT TEMPLE - SILVER KING - NIGHT Richard and John hide halfway behind the Silver King. SILVER KING You are welcome... even if I cannot feed you... 168 INT TEMPLE - NIGHT GOLD KING (to all) From where we were born? LILY From love! SILVER KING How would we be lost? PHILINE Without love! BRONZE KING What helps us to outdo ourselves? RICHARD (dreamy) Love!... COMPOSITE KING How can love be found? JOHN With love! BRONZE KING Who will dominate the world?! BENJAMIN This will be unveiled... because... We see the whole interior of the temple. BENJAMIN (CONT’D)(OS) IT IS THE TIME! Benjamin words ECHO in the Temple. LILY (joyfully) Father blessed! I thank you infinitely... Richard and John start to lick a gold trim wall. The canary flutters near them.
90. LILY (CONT’D)(OS) ...It’s the third time today I hear the prophecy words!... 169 INT TEMPLE - EARTHQUAKE - NIGHT The earth starts to quake. Everyone looks at the floor. Richard and John stop in fear guiltily. The whole Temple moves slowly horizontally WITH A LARGE DIN; earth depths open up before the Temple to let it pass. PHILINE We’re moving! BENJAMIN Yes we’re moving to the other shore! A thin rain begins to fall from ceiling interstices. Richard and John look up and flatten themselves against the wall, along with the canary. LILY We are under the river! BENJAMIN Soon we’ll arrive at our destination! The water ceases to fall. The Temple stops WITH A LOUD FLINCH. For a moment it stays still, then moves upwards WITH RACKET again. Benjamin, Philine and Lily try to keep their balance. Cullen vacillates. Stanny Z. jumps and BARKS. PHILINE We’re going up! The Temple stops with a BANG. LILY We’ve hit something! 170 INT TEMPLE - DOME - HUT LOWER PART - NIGHT A moment later the dome starts to open slowly and NOISILY, allowing a glimpse of the lower part of a hut. For a moment everything stops. Then planks and beams, followed by the furniture, start to precipitate CRASHINGLY en masse through the open ceiling. Argus’ comical SCREAM gets lost in the falling furniture ROAR. He is prone on the bed with open legs, clinging to the mattress, in nightgown. Lily and Philine leap to the side, instead Benjamin grabs Cullen and stays motionless.
91. Close to the latter Stanny Z. is terrified and BARKS. Richard, John and the canary flit around crazily and SCREAM. Through the open ceiling you can see for a moment the now empty hut. Then the whole small hut SQUEAKS HARSHLY and collapses abruptly on Benjamin, Cullen and Stanny. Philine and Lily SCREAM. 171 INT TEMPLE - OPEN DOME - DAWN Through the open dome you see the dawn light. 172 EXT SKY/LILY’S GARDEN - DAY A ray of light is reflected by the mirror in the claws of the hawk, which flies high in the sky. The light strikes in the eyes the Three Maids and arouses exclamations. They bring their hands to the blinded eyes. 173 INT TEMPLE - DAY The dome closes slowly and NOISILY. The Temple starts to rise NOISILY. Philine and Lily jump terrified exclaiming. Trembling and exclaiming Richard, John and canary are half hidden behind the Bronze King and look at the situation. The dawn light starts to enter through the large windows as the building rises to the surface. The windows glass is transparent and perfectly clean. The Temple stops. 174 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - TEMPLE - DAY The Temple rises completely outside, in the place where the Argus’ hut stood. We see the view of the west bank and the river, from left to right. 175 INT TEMPLE - AROUND THE HUT - DAY Philine and Lily wander around the hut with anguish. THEY KNOCK ON THE DOOR AND ON THE WALLS VIOLENTLY. On the sidelines Richard, John and the canary are petrified and afraid. JOHN (very seriously) As long as this is not clear, this: die and become!... You are only a grim host, above the dark earth. Richard and the canary turn and look at him in disbelief. They all three look at each other terrified, then fly out of the Temple like a shot through the open door. PHILINE LILY Benjamin! Benjamin!... Cullen! Cullen!...
92. PHILINE Answer! They knock with more violence. THE WOOD NOISE transforms, becomes a METALLIC NOISE AND RESOUND. Philine and Lily stop in amazement and fear. The hut becomes a magnificent cantilevered silver altar, a temple in the temple, with a small external ramp to climb the altar roof. 176 INT TEMPLE - ALTAR - DAY The altar door opens and a completely conscious and human Cullen appears in the doorway. Behind him, the altar is completely full of light. Philine and Lily step back. Cullen comes out. Behind him Benjamin comes out too, without the Magic Lamp. Lastly, a completely alive Stanny walks out. Philine and Lily smile, panting happily, with exclamations. From inside the altar comes Argus in a nightgown, absolutely amazed and incredulous. He looks around. Cullen and Lily look at each other in love, but two meters away. Argus starts to wander around the Temple, a bit dazed. Stanny paws behind him. Philine smiles at Benjamin. Then the smile fades to the lips. Philine looks at her hand with dismay, then looks at the others with bewilderment and pain. PHILINE I’M THE ONLY ONE LEFT UNHAPPY! Among so many prodigies... there is not one that can save my hand!?... Lily and Cullen watch her powerless and pity. Benjamin approaches her and takes her back in his hands. BENJAMIN Look... He points to her the open Temple door. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) The day arises, go and get wet in the river! PHILINE (desperately) What are you talking about?... I haven’t paid my debt yet, have you forgotten it?! I’ll become entirely black and disappear!...
93. BENJAMIN No, all debts have been forgiven! Go and do what I tell you! Trust me! Philine leaves quickly and goes away. Stanny runs after her, barking happily. 177 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - TEMPLE/LAWN - DAY Philine runs on the lawn towards the river with Stanny. Behind Philine, starting from the Temple frontage, a paving widens to gradually cover the lawn. 178 INT TEMPLE - DAY Benjamin reaches Cullen and Lily and puts himself between them. All three turn to the four Kings. BENJAMIN (loudly) Three lords dominate on the earth. Argus turns sharply. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) Trust!... The Golden King stands up with a METAL NOISE. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) ...Hope!... The Silver King stands up with a METAL NOISE. BENJAMIN (CONT’D) ...Love!... The Bronze King stands up, with a METAL NOISE. The Composite King is sitting eyes closed. 179 INT TEMPLE - INVESTITURE - DAY Cullen approaches the Bronze King. Benjamin and Lily watch Cullen silently. A still dazed Argus joins them. Cullen takes the sword at the foot of the statue and girds it on his left side. During the action the sword reduces to Cullen’s size. BRONZE KING The sword on the left, the right free! Cullen goes in front of the Silver King, who lowers his scepter towards him. The scepter gets smaller. Cullen takes it with his right hand.
94. SILVER KING Feed the sheep! Cullen goes in front of the Golden King, who takes off the crown and places it on Cullen’s head. During the action the crown shrinks to the right size. GOLD KING Recognize the paramount good! Cullen approaches Lily. CULLEN Lily! Oh dear Lily! Now I have everything, but not the most precious thing: your innocence and the silent affection that your heart offers me!... Cullen throws himself in Lily’s neck. She closes her eyes on his shoulder, with happiness and emotion. LILY If every hour of my life will pass like this, I’ll have nothing more to wish for. Lily pulls her head back and looks at Cullen. LILY (CONT’D) I’ve got everything! I want to enjoy everything! Let’s our happiness be without shadow, pure as heaven! Cullen smiles and surrounds Lily’s waist. 180 INT TEMPLE - COMPOSITE KING - DAY Cullen puts his hand on Benjamin’s shoulder. CULLEN My friend... the kingdom of our fathers is splendid and safe, but you have forgotten the fourth force that dominates the world, even more certain: the strength of humility. The Composite King opens his eyes and gets up. Cullen approaches the Composite King, who puts the sphere he holds in his hands on Cullen’s chest. During the action the sphere shrinks to the right size and remains suspended in the air.
95. The sphere lights up, becomes evanescent and penetrates into Cullen’s chest. Argus happily laughs turning to Benjamin. Cullen turns to Lily, who approaches him. Lily surrounds Cullen’s waist with her arms. Cullen smiles at her. ARGUS (to Benjamin) Beauty makes the whole world happy, and every being that feels its enchantment. Cullen and Lily start towards the open Temple door. BENJAMIN (whispering to Argus) Humility doesn’t dominate the world... it forms it... and this is much more... 181 EXT TEMPLE - PATIO - DAY Cullen and Lily, followed by Benjamin and Argus, leave the Temple. Now they are on a large patio that has magically formed, like everything else that will now appear. The patio is similar to Piazza della Trinità dei Monti in Rome. It is entirely surrounded by a balustrade. Two stairs ramps, similar to lateral ramps of Spanish Steps, branch off the patio towards a square below. 182 EXT TEMPLE - SQUARE - DAY The square is similar to Piazza San Pietro in Rome, but smaller and without the obelisk and fountains. Beyond the square, a magnificent Wagon Bridge crosses the river, which is now a hundred meters wide. 183 EXT WAGON BRIDGE - DAY The Wagon Bridge has many arches; on both sides there are comfortable and beautiful porticoed lanes for WAYFARERS. HUNDREDS OF WAYFARERS go back and forth briskly under the arcades. The big road in the middle is animated by a stream of sheeps flocks, horses and donkeys, KNIGHTS and carriages running in both directions. CALLS, BUZZ, NOISE OF CLOCKS AND WHEELS. Everyone looks in amaze at the magnificence of the Wagon Bridge.
96. 184 EXT TEMPLE - PATIO - DAY Cullen and Lily look out over the balustrade. Cullen holds an arm around Lily’s waist. They watch PEOPLE’s activity and bustle. CULLEN How my spirit wanders! It makes its way from everywhere, to further enlarge my immense kingdom! LILY We’ll have to surround the PEOPLE with nobles, great, spiritually rich forms. We’ll close a circle of excellence around them. CULLEN Until appearance surpasses reality, and the art the nature. Benjamin and Argus reach them. ARGUS Here is the state of the beautiful appearance! BENJAMIN (to Cullen) Honor the serpent Severus’ memory: you owe him the life, your PEOPLE owe him the Bridge... 185 EXT WAGON BRIDGE - DAY We see the Wagon Bridge with its ordered traffic. BUZZ, NOISE OF CLOCKS AND WHEELS. BENJAMIN (OS) For the first time the two banks are really close. Those shiny gems... Some gems glisten in the Wagon Bridge pillars. BENJAMIN (OS)(CONT’D) ...are the remains of his sacrificed body... the pillars of this miraculous Bridge. Severus has risen up alone, and alone he’ll hold himself.
97. 186 EXT TEMPLE - PATIO - DAY CULLEN For this reason beauty and equality will dominate in my Kingdom. LILY The waves run beneath him, the wagons above him. The generous snake has allowed us all to go to the other shore. CULLEN (musing) My image will be displayed proudly in hundred buildings, but in the end I’ll need little space, for resting quietly. LILY (to Benjamin) But what was the prodigious secret-- 187 EXT TEMPLE - PATIO/RAMP - DAY Lily stops as she sees the three maids and Philine climb up the ramp, followed by Stanny running and barking excitedly. Philine is more beautiful, as rejuvenated. At the top the hawk SCREECHES. The Three Maids run to Lily. The four women hug each other with exclamations of enthusiasm. THIRD MAID What a wonderful PEOPLE, Beautiful Lily! Not perfect but good PEOPLE... SECOND MAID ...Not extraordinary but interesting, and lovely! Philine approaches Benjamin and shows him her healed hand. Stanny jumps around the couple. Benjamin surrounds Philine’s shoulders with his arm. BENJAMIN Now do you believe me, beloved Philine? Anyone bathing in the river, this morning, will find happiness!... Philine surrounds Benjamin’s life with his arms, he strokes her head.
98. PHILINE The fountain of youth is not a fable. There is and flows! Really and always... in the art of poets. Philine puts her head on Benjamin’s chest. BENJAMIN Philine... today you can also choose another spouse... From now on no marriage has any value... that has not been concluded again... Philine raises her face to Benjamin. PHILINE But then you don’t know that you stole my heart irreparably, even before I realized it was in danger?... BENJAMIN Only in you I can know myself. Far away from you my thoughts go round. PHILINE A look from your eyes in mine, a kiss from your mouth to mine; who, like me, knows something of it, how can find joy in another? BENJAMIN Then I accept your hand again... I want carry on to live with you, in the next millennium... Lily, Philine and the Three Maids descend from one of the two ramps, followed by Stanny. Cullen, in the middle of Argus and Benjamin, looks from the patio towards the Wagon Bridge. 188 EXT WAGON BRIDGE - DAY The PEOPLE swarm. The Giant, from the east bank, advances staggering over the Wagon Bridge; he does not seem to have recovered from the morning’s sleep. He gropes on the wide pillars. He moves between men and animals in a very clumsy way and causes fright and confusion. PEOPLE SCREAM, there’s a big mess. The sun suddenly dazzles the eyes of the Giant, who raises his hands to shelter and shakes them awkwardly.
99. Hands shadow passes violently through the CROWD; men and beasts are thrown to the ground by the passing shadows. Some are injured. Some are thrown out of the parapets and end up in water, or they cling. Everyone SCREAMS. 189 EXT TEMPLE - PATIO - DAY Cullen observes the bustle with irritation. With a rash movement he looks for the sword and makes the act of moving forward. Benjamin holds him by the arm. BENJAMIN I guess your thoughts, but we’re helpless with our strength, in the face of this helpless. Don’t worry! He harms for the last time, and fortunately his shadow will abandon us. 190 EXT WAGON BRIDGE - DAY The Giant passes the Wagon Bridge and sees the Temple. He drops his hands in amazement and gasps. Behind him, along the bridge, a great confusion, and PEOPLE even in the water. 191 EXT SQUARE - DAY Arrived at the center of the square, the Giant before stops, then makes the act of advancing towards the patio, but the feet together don’t rise, they are been held at the ground. The Giant MOANS, fixes his gaze ahead. He turns into a stone statue and shrinks up to a height of three meters. He is tall and straight, almost pointed on the head. STATUA DEL GIGANTE Here the teacher erected me on a high pedestal. Arise, he said: and I arise for him with strength and joy. The statue closes its mouth and remains motionless. PEOPLE CROWD around it, surround it and observe it in amazement. Comments and exclamations. From there, part of the multitude turns towards the temple. 192 EXT TEMPLE - PATIO - DAY Cullen puts his hands on the balustrade and speaks to the PEOPLE. CULLEN I’ll open spaces where millions of men will live safe, free and active, in green and fertile (CONT)
100. CULLEN (FOLLOW) fields. Men and animals, in a brand new land, united by the great Wagon Bridge, built by the sacrifice of the daring and industrious snake. The CROWD listens attentively, part in the square, part on the bridge (where now everyone is stationary), part on the steps, part on the patio. In the square there are also Lily, Philine and the Three Maids. CULLEN (CONT’D)(OS) A paradise on earth. The waves don’t rage more to the brim; they don’t burst violently. Yes, I’ve consecrated myself to this idea: the conclusion of wisdom is this... Cullen and Lily smile each other. CULLEN (CONT’D) Only those who must conquer them every day deserves freedom and life. Thus the child, the man and the old will live, magnanimously. And we will see such fervor on a free land, with a free people! LILY (aloud, happily) I say to this instant: you’re so beautiful, stop! The ages cannot erase the trace of my earthly days. Foreseeing such a high joy, I now savor the supreme moment! 193 EXT TEMPLE - PATIO/RAMP - DAY The WAYFARERS swarm towards stairs, go up and enter the Temple. Even Lily, Philine and the Three Maids with Stanny go up again. The CROWD carries on arriving from the Wagon Bridge. So there are PEOPLE at the same time on the bridge, in the square, on the steps, on the patio, and keep coming. At that moment the hawk SCREECHES in the sky. It still has the mirror in its claws. The mirror reflects the sunlight on the crown of Cullen, which sparkles. Cullen and Lily glow by a celestial splendor. Everyone bow in unison to the couple and in unison they get up.
101. 194 EST/INT TEMPLE - DAY Cullen and Lily enter the Temple. A ray of light coming from a window strikes them. The CROWD seems to ignore them, but the PEOPLE in the immediate vicinity make themselves to the side, whispering to each other. Lily takes Cullen by the hand. LILY (whispering) Come with me, my husband! They go into the CROWD, we don’t see them anymore. 195 INT TEMPLE - DAY Benjamin and Philine enter the Temple hugging, followed by Stanny, and mingle with the CROWD. The Three Maids enter, split up and mingle with the CROWD. Argus enters, takes a few steps and stops, staring the whole temple. Lily leads Cullen by the hand behind the Composite King’s statue, in front of a small wooden door. Lily takes a small key from her dress pocket and opens the door, which leads into a dark corridor. 196 INT SECRET PASSAGE - DAY Lily takes a torch and a fire striker from a space carved into the wall. She lights the torch, hands it to Cullen and closes the door. Cullen inserts the torch into a ring on the wall. Cullen and Lily hug and kiss softly. CULLEN Finally in your arms I enjoy what the birth gave me, and what you offered me. LILY Feel how this breath of love whispers. My only joy is your will. Displays of tender affection. CULLEN Where does this passage lead? LILY To my castle... Cullen takes up the torch and with Lily goes into the secret passage.
102. 197 INT TEMPLE - DAY PEOPLE disperses in the Temple. Everyone looks with amazement and admiration. Suddenly, excited voices of joy come from the patio. 198 EXT TEMPLE - PATIO - DAY Gold coins seem to fall unexpectedly from the sky on the screpatio over the PEOPLE, who SCREAM AND SHOUT OUT IN JOY. Coins RESOUND on the floor. Many come out of the temple. Two blurry Richard and John giggle as they shake off their coins off. They flutter and play with the canary. The WAYFARERS rush on the coins to get hold of them, with exclamations. The canary CHIRPS merrily. This miracle is repeated now in one place now in another of the patio. 199 EXT SQUARE - DAY Richard and John fly over the square and repeat the same scene: shake out gold coins and the CROWD shout out in joy, rushing on the coins. At one point Richard and John fly away laughing, followed by the canary CHIRPING at its best. Greedy PEOPLE carry on arriving from all sides with exclamations, bumping and running around even when coins no longer fall. 200 EXT RIVER WEST SIDE - PATH - DAY The sun begins to decline. In the distance the Three Maids slowly return, carrying flowers and baskets of coins. 201 INT TEMPLE/ALTAR - DAY Only Argus remains in the Temple. He enters the silver altar and looks around. The light arrives from some loopholes and from the open door. The bed is a bit battered but still usable. Argus stands up a table and a chair. In the middle of the furnishings fallen in bulk, he also finds his lamp. He lights it and looks around with the lamp in his hand. ARGUS What must always unite us? (little pause) Love. He puts the lamp on the table and lies on the bed. Slowly he falls asleep. The Temple is immersed in silence.
103. 202 EXT WAGON BRIDGE - DAY Only A FEW WAYFARERS cross the bridge on foot. Benjamin, holding his Magic Lamp in his hand, and Philine, followed by Stanny, who trots her tired, cross the Bridge from left to right. Benjamin puts an arm around Philine’s shoulders and kisses her tenderly on the temple, without stopping. 203 EXT SQUARE - DAY Only the stone Giant remains in the deserted square. He has become a fountain and exudes water, which gushes SOUGHING gently. Around the fountain we see the circle of a beautiful Roman numerals sundial. Giant’s shadow stretches marking the time. FADE OUT THE END